3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 99 series II 3800 vin K. out of a 99 Pontiac Bonneville.

Has anyone ran into a problem of one of the inside cam bearings, The third one from the front to be excact. Seizing on the cam and spinning in the cam journal of the block? Would you or try and reuse the block?

I have this problem with this engine. I was goin to attempt to rebuild it.I have yet to be able to find someone with a bore gauge small enough to check it for being round. Altho we did knock out the second from the front cam bearing and tried it in the third hole. It seem tight enough especially for a bearing that had already been knocked in. I was wondering that being as how the bearing material was softer than a cast block maybe it did not do very much damage.
A new cam is definetly needed....
THANKS, Scott T.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I don't think this is very common, but I do remember a thread on this forum where someone was trying to fix one that siezed. So, it can happen. If you are doing a rebuild. I would definity put new cam bearings in and clean the oil galleys and entire block **** and span........ I think I saw another post from you looking for a cam for a stock 3800 K, I've got a stock 3800 I with approx 20,000 miles on it..........

Good luck, Jake L.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jake,
Will that series I work on a series II? I Have a series I s/c engine vin 1 and check at the parts store and the two had differant part numbers.It very well tho could have been because it was a s/c engine.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I would mic'out that bore and check for tolerance. You'll know if u can re-use block or not. What happened, no oil pressure?

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
You didnt try forcing a camshaft in, did you (let alone a bent one)?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would mic'out that bore and check for tolerance. You'll know if u can re-use block or not. What happened, no oil pressure?

The engine had 185k on it and a rod started hammering. The car belongs to someone else. So I pull it and was gonna try and help him out you know.I put a crank kit in it.One rod,and ringed the pistons.So I did not pull the cam. It had 40 psi of oil when I pulled it across the yard.I figured it was cool. I put it back in and busted it off it had 70psi cold.It would drop to 30 at 200 dgerees and when you dropped it in gear the needle would bounce between like 26 and 30. I knew somethin was wrong so I pulled it back out. Thats when I found the cam bearing cos the cam would not come out.The bearing was stuck on the cam. I am thinkin everytime the cam came around and the bearing passed the oil galley that why the press bounced. But anyway it starved for oil.prolli what got the rod. I wanted more than 30 psi also. somethin would have to be wrong for the press to drop from 70 to 30.That seems way to much of variance.I plastigauged the mains it showed .002

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
....I know I sometimes take for granted popping out/in camshafts, where in reality, a risky job if not careful! That sucks and feel bad for you bro! Well, see if it's within tolerance (dont imagine that it might, but you never know), pop in the new set of bearings and your on your way. Good luck with this friend.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Could you post the mic readings ?

The series 2 cam isnt one with the different size bores or journals, right?
I see people talking about the bearings being numbered, I ordered Enginetech CC421,
and dont see any numbers. The 4 bearings fit in a box with 5 slots, so I figured that
indicated 1-4 with hole 5 open.

I see the diagonal line on the outside surface of the bearings of two of the wider bearings(1 and 4) is that supposed to line up with something or is it just an additional way to show the wider bearings as being different?

When I mic the cam, I get 1.8465 on the first 3, 1.8470 on journal 4.
When I mic the brand new Enginetech bearings prior to install ,
I get 2.0003 on outside of #1,
1.9826 on 2, 1.9839 on 3, 2.0055 on #4.
The insides of the cam bearings Im guessing are 1.8545,
but Im using telescoping T's instead of dial bore gauge, so
my accuracy is varying too much.

My status is that I had a machine shop put in a new set of Enginetech CC421 bearings and he gave it back to me with the insides of the bearings machined bigger, said the block must have been machined wrong because the cam was too tight without doing the machining. But I was worried because I hadnt heard this is a somewhat common procedure, the factory finish of the bearings is obviously gone, and because I can detect play when I wiggle the timing chain side of the cam when its slid in. Now I have a second set of new bearings and am debating trying to install them, but now Im not sure if maybe Enginetech bearings are the problem. The machining didnt just take off a few 'highs' on the bearings, every bit of the inner surface of every bearing shows the machining.

Some posts Ive read say they dont run into these problems and dont have to machine their cam bearings. Can anybody name a brand and part number that worked out of the box?

Also, what do you all think about this video, its frustrating to watch because the camera holder is jerky, but it shows a particular orientation for cam bearings to be installed in, but the Enginetech brand doesnt have the same indicator notches as his bearings do.

Thanks,
Jay

1 - 8 of 8 Posts