3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody changed the cam bearings in their motor? What tools do you need and what's the best way? One of them happens to be nicked pretty good on the block I have, the first one from the front. So i'm gonna have to replace them all.

TIA,
Mike

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had a machine shop put mine in, You have to be very careful about lining them up right. For only $30 it is worth it to have a shop or an experienced person put them in.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I'm not sure if its *required*, but there is a tool to do this, we used to use it in automechanics, IIRC its like a long rod w/ adaptors you put on it to fit the specific bearing size, then I think you either knocked them out w/ hammer taps on the end, or maybe it was a slide hammer, I don't remember. Thing is, most machine shops are just about $30-40 to do it, and since you only have to do it once, its really probably not worth buying the tool (I can imagine it probably costs $75+ for the kit).

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dont listen to this monte guy, he doesnt know the first thing about cam barings.
Ouch, that's cold. Guess I might as well just take the motor to the shop when I get ready to put it together, and have everything done at once. I just want to do as much myself as possible, guess I can't do everything though :( I did manage to break one of my 1/4" ratchets yesterday trying to take out an oil plug, I liked that ratchet too :( Thanks for all the help guys, machine shop it'll have to be.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Gurr said:
I had a machine shop put mine in, You have to be very careful about lining them up right. For only $30 it is worth it to have a shop or an experienced person put them in.
What he said, well worth it to have somebody at a shop that does it 20 times a day everyday do it for you.

~Farnsworth~

·
Registered
347 Posts
xtremegt said:
Dont listen to this monte guy, he doesnt know the first thing about cam barings.

lol
j/k

watta retard :D lol

anyway, about if you're trying to take those oil plugs in the block (the ones that don't have a head, they're just a threaded piece w/ 1/4" hole), usually people hit it w/ a little heat (from a pencil torch or something like that) then try and get it out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.