3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a FYI for all of those on the forums. I was looking around at Intakes and found the best CAI on the market to be the WzAir and the Thrasher. I was unaware what the thrasher is untill just recently (although I knew WizAir was better), when I was pointed to their website. Well on their website, I found it very interesting that they use a different air filter then most all car modders.

Thrasher uses a filter called the S&B. S&B offers a unique filter called the Powerstack that is offered in a larger size then K&N (10"), has a larger end to provide more surface area, and has an open end. The key feature of the filter I believe is the open end, as it provides better air intake for our cars and CAI boxes as it sucks air straight from the hole going into the fender, rather then from just inside the box, possibly lowering temperatures.

I was just informing everyone as I have seen almost everyone with a WizAir, MotorSport, or SLP air box use the K&N filters, when there is a sugnificantly better filter (esp for our cars) available on the market.

Links:
http://www.thrashercharged.com/L67_htm/cold_air_kit.shtm
http://www.bakerprecision.com/sandb1.htm

Pictures:

·
Registered
565 Posts
Well, I sure wouldn't go as far as to say that the S&B is significantly better than the K&N. Sure, it has the ability to flow a little more air than the K&N, but that's meaningless unless you're flowing enough air to approach the K&N limits. Well, guess what? The amount of power our engines produce will not outflow a 9" K&N cone filter. ;) So the bottom line is that most aftermarket CAI's on the market will have close to the same improvement for you. I will agree that the WizAired is one of the better ones, due to the fact that it seals off the engine bay heat better than the others.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not really suggesting it would flow more air. I am suggesting it could flow colder air. With the open tip, it would be able to draw air out of the fenderwell hole better then your typical K&N filter. For WizAir, Thrahser, and other CAI owners, the fenderwell hole is essential to your cold air. Makes me think it could only help in the ongoing fight on KR?

·
Registered
347 Posts
I could've sworn you can get a K&N not only longer, but also w/ a filtering end (although I don't believe its an inverted V like on that one).

·
Registered
139 Posts
bumpin96monte! said:
I could've sworn you can get a K&N not only longer, but also w/ a filtering end (although I don't believe its an inverted V like on that one).
k&N makes the exact same type of filter with the open end.
it's all for marketing.
you could use a 5 inch cone filter on your cars and you'll be fine.

look at the airbox on a supercar. notice anything? looks just like our stock ones. silly filters.

·
Registered
139 Posts
i have a video of Best Motoring's Supra vs. Skyline video. The skyline with a Mine's Stage 2 Complete Engine, with HKS GT2530s spinnin....has stock airboxes. now granted a skyline's stock airboxes are slightly larger then my car but as far as i can tell stock airboxs are fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts