3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Major Edit....
I have a 2000 Buick LeSabre.
I need to replace my front struts. I'm staying away from quick struts.
I have found through research a pair of struts to replace the ones off a GXP that fit between a fe2/fe5 suspension stiffness. Part AcDelco 503-589.
Would there be any major difference between the stock coils on my f41 suspension, or used coils off a GXP, or aftermarket coils for a GXP. If aftermarket coils is the way to go do you have any suggestions.

·
Administrator
1,036 Posts
Not a lot of input here, as most H-body folks aren't trying to do a lot with their suspensions beyond maintenance. There's a small contingent who've probably found some swapping, but that will just come down to some searching across the web for archives of any of that work over the past decade or two. In all honesty, the level of change in most OEM and aftermarket replacement spring rates will be minimal, compared to an aggressive aftermarket setup that may become much less comfortable, if available.

The only OEM suspension I would assume had nice upgrades specifically in that chassis, would be the Bonneville GXP, which you'll just have to hunt for possible donor parts. I'm not sure if the Grand Prix GXP fronts are also compatible between W's and H's, but you didn't specify model, so I'm just tossing things out there.

Good luck, and don't get too spun around the axle on seeing big improvements here, as it's going to be a hard boulder to roll uphill.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh I know the 2005 Bonneville GXP suspension parts work. I just didn't know if the actual coils on the front strut are better or the same than what's on my LeSabre currently (f41). I can save the money from buying the coils at my junkyard and just transfer the coils from the saber over to the AC Delco struts.
Guess I could always be the guinea pig and by the coils for the GXP and then compare them to my current coils.
I'm getting polyurethane end links for the front and rear sway bars that are replacements for a Pontiac Bonneville GXP.
All my suspension components basically need to be replaced. I plan on replacing them with similar quality parts or better when available.
I rode and test drove a buddies 2002 LeSabre with the Fe1 suspension and no rear sway bar and let me tell you what that thing was horrendous. Comparing his to mine was night and day difference. I had an 88 suburban that handled better than his LeSabre with all good suspension components. My LeSabre handling was a thousand times better and considering mine has ripped boots on the trailing arms needs end links replaced front and back, front shocks, and front ball joints, and needs four tires. So needless to say I'm happy with my suspension setup and I only want to replace items with better parts if it makes sense and is not a huge financial cost over a stock OEM replacement.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess the front strut replacement is down to three different struts.
OEM AC Delco 503-589 user reported similarity between fe2-fe3. $150 pair
KYB GR2 Excell G Struts $120 pair
KYB AGX Adjustable Struts $270 pair
I'm going to combined them with the MOG springs for a 2005 Pontiac Bonneville GXP for the front and back.
What are y'all's thoughts

·
Administrator
1,036 Posts
That's a pretty specific combo that I doubt anyone currently active (let alone historically) has much variety of experience with. It's also a pretty subjective result you're hunting for, that I doubt another person will be able to explain their personal result-to-desired feel that would match your goals. It's a bit like asking someone who says they enjoy spicy food, if they liked how hot a restaurant's sauces are, while one of you was raised on a regimen of Indian cuisine, while the other is a big fan of Frank's Red Hot on chicken wings. (bad analogy, but just came to mind)

Good luck with your purchase & install, either way. It's your money in the end, and it's only a basic strut swap with fairly reliable components either way, so I have little doubt you'll be fine.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm going for a former suspension/similar to what I have stock F41. The Moog coils to my understanding are FE3 and are made for a Bonnie GXP but will fit on the LeSabre. So the Moog coils for front and back should be an upgrade over stock F41.
I'm still leaning towards the AC Delco struts, I don't think the extra money right now is worth the adjustable KYB struts. The 120+ dollars saved could go towards the rear arms and else where.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hows it going stumbled across your thread im doing a turbo build into a 97 lesabre i got a donor 97 pontiac Bonneville SSEI. They are identical in every way under the body. I too am looking for a suspension up grade as i plan on running a lot more horse power. After searching a bit i found out the Bonneville SSEI got thicker sway bars better strut tower brace and better shocks and stiffer springs as well as a different rack and pinon and it sits a 1/2in lower than a lesabre. i keep seeing that F41 etc on suspension codes what does that mean. Would you kno the code for a 97 SSEI? Also have you found any drop in stuts that are firm and a bit lower than stock?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I found my code underneath the plastic spare tire cover and the trunk. You'll have a bunch of RPO codes and that'll tell you what you have. I know that lesabre's without the f41 suspension package do not have a rear sway bar.
The f41 suspension package replaces the fe1 soft suspension with I believe fe2/fe3 components such as shocks and struts and rear sway bar.
I do know with my year that a 2005 Pontiac Bonneville GXP parts fit my vehicle that include upgrades up to fe4 suspension components.
I switched out my front and rear sway bar end links with Moog polyurethane end links and that was a decent upgrade. I plan on next upgrading to the AC Delco front struts with coils up front and back for the GXP. I also plan on using energy polyurethane sway bar bushings front and back that are universal and will fit based on sway bar size.
I believe the rear sway bar is either 18 or 19 and the front is 32 I think don't hold me to that. I also believe the upgrade sway bar from the Bonneville GXP up front is minimal and it is a pain in the butt to do and requires a lot of work but the one in the back is a bigger increase over stock f41 and can be done in under an hour.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The front is definitely not 32 I was wrong on that.
I don't know if this goes for your vehicle because 2000 lesabre's are a different generation then a 97. I know with my vehicle I can swap components from a Bonneville GXP from 2005 which is the V8 Bonneville.
According to online the V8 Bonneville has,
"Performance-tuned DeCarbon monotube dampeners, progressive spring rates and large diameter (30-mm front, 22-mm rear) stabilizer bars allow the Bonneville GXP to provide both excellent driver feedback and a smooth, compliant ride."

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
But for what I've read if your suspension is a good stock order and not broken down then the way to go is polyurethane sway bar bushings and end links but first a rear sway bar if you don't have one

·
Registered
22 Posts
Dam earl were did u find all this? Iv been searching for answers all over the internet but all i had to do was ask here. This helps alot thank you. What would i have to do to install coilovers?and those KYB AXG ajustable shocks with the zzp w body lowering spring's do you think they would work with my 97 lesabre.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm not certain on the ZZ performance KYB struts but I read that they are comparable to the AC Delco struts they just don't adjust. The lowering springs on ZZ performance say they're for w body only.
I also read that you can lower the rear by adjusting the ride height sensor on the air ride suspension.
I've been researching my build for a while. Check out the 3800 forms Buick forms and the GM forms for information.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As far as coilovers I don't know I'm not planning on doing coilovers for a while. I know before coilovers I would do break upgrades because our stock brakes with a single piston suck. Zzp sells a kit to upgrade I believe F body dual piston caliber 12-in rotor brakes that all you have to do is tappan New caliber bracket holes. Then they sell the brembo big break upgrade but both of these require I think 18-in Wheels minimum.
I really wouldn't worry about lowering it too much either and focus the money on the handling and countering overseer and understeer because these cars suck in that department.
This can be done with upgraded end links bushings rear sway bar upgraded and front end shocks.
I know if you go to RockAuto and input your vehicle and go to the suspension components certain ones will tell you if it's fe1 fe2 f41 etc.
I also know that if you buy replacement front shocks don't get a quick swap they are horrible by the struts separately from the coils this will require you to have to have a coil compression tool but they're only like 20 30 bucks.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
After I had the suspension taken care of I would then go and do a top swap with a supercharger. Junkyard is the way to go on this if you have one around you that's decent. My local junkyard I can get the heads lower intake and supercharger for under 200 bucks. Have the heads resurfaced and polished as well as the lower intake and possibly supercharger and slap them on with the other requirements that I would buy new and you should have roughly 300 horsepower I would think under the hood if you also went with front power log and a performance exhaust.
That's the best bang for your buck to start with and then you can turbo it as well later down the road.
You can go to zz's website and look for the top swap kit I know it's out of stock but it lists all the parts needed to do it.
I know there's a LeSabre on YouTube with a stock bottom end that is supercharged and turbo and makes 497 wheel horsepower with like I said a stock bottom end and that includes a stock cam

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks good tips bro. And i have a l67 and the z3 turbo kit going into that lesabre check it out on my turbo build thread. its a good thing you bring up the brakes and wheel size because i wanted these 16in racing rims but the brake kit im looking at requires 18in wheels i have 18's on my regal right around 350hp makes the tires squeal for days. The turbo build im looking at 450+hp really want to be able to fit some meaty tires under her and firmer suspension make her really hook.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I plan on doing a turbo supercharger build but I've only got up to the supercharged portion in my build list.
I also have all the suspension components listed most with part numbers now in my build list.

·
Administrator
1,036 Posts
Good luck with your installs, and never get too hung up on the precision of excessive planning (I've been there, along with most others at some point, because we get excited & that's a good thing). I hope that as you install things, you're able to list those details and share a few photos for interested readers, because "best laid plans" and all that... Heck, I started my 2020 rebuild thinking I was going to do one thing, and dozens of unplanned "extras" happened in the 2yrs that followed.

RE: twin-charging... 🙇‍♂️
Many people get that combo idea in their head, because it's a fun, cool, or unique sounding idea, but it's been done and lessons were learned and the market moved on. This is probably the 5th time in the last year or so that it's been mused about, before enthusiasm meets reality. Complexity of the vacuum routing, tuning, packaging is well beyond the level of the questions/concepts/etc. I see asked here and elsewhere on a daily basis. This is separate from the fact that the supercharger is a restriction to the turbo under boost, proven when the supercharger is removed. (This may just be one of those responses I copy-paste whenever I get the phrasing just right. This version may not be the best one, yet.)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was planning on just turboing it and possibly forged internals but then I read further into the Forged internals and numerous discussions about the problems they can cause and I'm really still on the fence about that but I'm really not worried about it because that's going to be way down the road. Working on a budget so I'm trying to do the top swap/upgraded suspension/transmission conversion in one go when taxes hit.
I then saw this video with a 500 horsepower LeSabre that is turbo and supercharged. I've been doing digging into the idea and decided if I can do it myself as far as physical install goes then down the line I'd add a turbo to the supercharger, if not then down the line when I have enough saved up I swap it over to a either a single or twin turbo build. In regards to the twin turbo I think I'd go with one smaller one hooked up to a bigger one. From what I've read about doing it like that I'd have less lag and more even boost across the power band with less spin up time.
Anyway here's the link to the YouTube video that has me pondering about a supercharged turbo build.

Also I temporarily switched over my front and rear end links to mog polyurethane White end links. Got them used on Amazon for 2 bucks each. They weren't used at all and they came with the box and manual and the end links we're still sealed inside their plastic bag.
MOOG K700528 Stabilizer Bar Link Kit and these made a drastic improvement overstock.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts