3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, apologies if this is the wrong section to be posting this in, but it didn't really seem to fit anywhere else.

About 15 years ago the front driver's door handle on my 98 Park Avenue Ultra broke. You could yank on it just fine and it would retract but it wouldn't pop the latch open. My only guess is that the rod inside that goes down to the latch broke. It happened to me again just a little while ago, last time I lived with it for about 6 months before getting it fixed and I'm NOT going through that again.

Can anyone give me any idea of what kind of job I'd have ahead of me if I tried to fix this myself? Like will the door panel come off easily and I can make a fix with stuff from the hardware store, or would I be looking at a nightmare getting to the inside and I'd have to hit up a salvage yard to get a replacement part? I can take it to my mechanic if need be but I'd rather do it myself and save money if possible.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Generally, there's a rod connecting the inside door handle to the door latch assembly. Sometimes the retainer can come loose and not activate the door latch to open. It is also possible the inside door handle is broken where the rod attaches. Or the latch handle is broken. Either way, you will need to remove the inside door panel to see if all the rods are still attached at the handle and at the latch itself. Jake(mr goodwrench).......

1 - 2 of 2 Posts