3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was hoping someone on here may be able to help me out. Last November I was pushed off the road and put my 01 GTP into a field. Shortly after the CV shaft on the passenger side broke. Due to lack of funds the car has sitting. I now have some money to fix it but I was wondering if it could cause some transmission issues. There is a loud grinding where the axle meets the transmission that can be heard whenever it's out of park. Any help I am extremely grateful for.

·
Super Moderator
375 Posts
If you can get a used stock axle from a junkyard, they're typically very reliable. You can also search the listings at car-part.com to find one already pulled and ready to ship.

(just pick the year, make-model, part, and enter your ZIP... leave the rest alone, then search to get this option...)

If the noise remains after replacing the axle, it may be the differential in the tail of the transmission, but the axle is much easier to replace and check off the list before going deeper. Ensure there's plenty of fluid in the transmission, too (warm idle, check a cleaned dipstick), otherwise it might indicate something cracked. Those can be a little spendy for a used stock replacement, or even more to have the peace of mind of a fresh rebuild. Just start with the simple things, and hopefully you get going without much more hassle.

Reactions: DarkIllusion
1 - 2 of 2 Posts