3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If i get a used l67 block and i put some goodies in it what should i put.....pistons................................

·
Registered
104 Posts
Our stock oiling system blows also, so if you want to spin her up high in the RPM range I would look into modifying your stock oiling system. The biggest failure in our engines would be spun rod bearings due to the way the oil feed holes are shared on our crank.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Are there no aftermarket oil pumps available for these cars? Also, could a machine shop not drill new oil passages in the block for better oiling at higher rpm's?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Does noone offer a ported stock pump?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Porting the pump will decrese the pressure which isn't what you want. The problem with the 3800 is that the oil holes are shared and VOLUME isn't enough. This is why most raceblocks have xtra oil feeds drilled on the far end from the pump to give xtra flow.

·
Registered
36 Posts
So in other words, keep the pressure where it is, bu tjust increase volume, correct? If that's the case, could the pump's orifice be tapered instead of ported, therefore retaining the stock size orifice at the begining of the exit, but tapering it outwards to the end of the exit, therefore increasing volume.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Intense offers a oil pressure kit which bumps up the oil pressure, it is a shim, spring and gasket (complete kit) that goes behind your oil filter adapter. This does help to a good extent but won't fully cure the problem, if your spinning to 6800 rpm on a daily basis a Intense race ready short block or some form of internal oiling modification really should be considered beyond the oil pressure kit.

·
Registered
187 Posts
There was a thread on club gp about this. Intense taps an extra oil feed on the bellhousing end of the block. M guess would be that the pump itself is fine the problem lies in the flow passages that get the oil to where it needs to go. If the passages are small enough system pressure will remain high but volume suffers. I don't know why everyone is so fixiated on the pump. The problem isn't pumping the oil or flowing enough from the pump.The problem is flowing it to where is needs to go.

·
Registered
36 Posts
While what you're saying is true, once you open up more passages, the pump has to work harder to send the oil on a longer route if you will, therefore decreasing pressure. If you're gonna add oil passages in your block, you gotta think about upping the pressure to assure that the topend will still receive adequate oiling in the upper rpm's.

·
Registered
187 Posts
You can have somewhat less pressure from the extra oil feed out but it will be BECAUSE there is more oil flowing out. As flow is increased pressure will decrese unless you change the output of the pump. The pump pressure is easily adjusted via a spring on the oil pressure relief valve.

·
Registered
713 Posts
shadetree3800 said:
lets say you already had your motor apart and are race preping your own block, does anyone know what intense does to their blocks increse oiling efficiency
We are also interested in the answer to this as picking up a race prepped block from Intense isn't all that easy from where I'm sitting. :)

·
Registered
713 Posts
NICETRY said:
While what you're saying is true, once you open up more passages, the pump has to work harder to send the oil on a longer route if you will, therefore decreasing pressure. If you're gonna add oil passages in your block, you gotta think about upping the pressure to assure that the topend will still receive adequate oiling in the upper rpm's.
I agree with you both. Although I wouldn't think the oil pressure would drop off all that much. As pressure relies on flow x restriction. If you add a extra oil feed line and the pump hasn't been modified for more volume. The result will probably be slightly less oil pressure down at low revs as the pump is spinning slower and giving less flow. The relief valve is not lifting off the seat as much because of the less restriction of the added oil feed out. ( although this depends on the restriction at the end of the new line ) At the other end of it when the revs are up and the oil pump is spinning faster giving more flow.
That extra oil flow should fill the new feed line to capacity until one of two things happen. The oil pumps flow volume is maxxed out and the total engine oil restrictions aren't enough to create the pressure from before the modifications. ( fairly unlikely ) Or the oil pump flow does as before the modifications and supplies more volume / flow than can be lost at the engine oil restriction points. Creating a back pressure that lifts the pressure relief valve of its seat and thus regulating the pressuse as before.

My 2 cents and I could be totally wrong so sue me.

Feel free to shoot this theory down.

Btw the oil modification to the bell housing end of the motor from the oil pump ( I think thats where it's coming from ) Does anyone have a diagram or picture they could post of it ?
:)

·
Banned
189 Posts
Howdy boys and girls,

At INTENSE, we do a couple of things to try and help engines survive the whoopin that we put on them. First, we run much looser bearing clearances than stock. This is done in order to increase flow past the bearings. Pressure is nice, but without flow, bearings can overheat in high r.p.m. conditions. We set up our main and rod journals in the .0028" area. Additionally we tap the rear of the block and add an additional oil feed, so that the crank receives
oil from both ends.

BIG JEFF

·
Registered
21 Posts
"Additionally we tap the rear of the block and add an additional oil feed, so that the crank receives
oil from both ends."

Can you explain this a little more to indicate both ends of the oil feed. Are you tapping into the valley? Or into an oil feed on one side of the engine? Are you putting a dash line to flow the oil? This might help me with my burnt looking oil.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.