3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:pissed: Bought a 2004 Grand Prix GTP. Had 125,000 miles on it. Had it 60 days spun bearing. had just got the Anti theft issues fixed the week before.
Anyway were planning on pulling motor and rebuilding back to what is required. I'm freaking out because its going to be down with battery disconnected for upto 3 months as I gather money. What happens when its back togather,will it start,or is their some weird relearn the has to be done like the throttle body after cleaning,or the key relearn. will I have to go to dealer to get my stock sterio to work again?
Tried to find another motor but they all have 40,000+ more miles. Which is scary.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Not sure about an 04 but last time I had my 03 down for an engine rebuild/modification it was NOT powered for a couple of months. I didn't loose anything including radio stations. If you are worried about this, you could always hook up a "trickle charger" to battery cables. BUT make sure any loose battery+ wires are taped up for no shorting out.

Hey, if you spun a bearing, make sure to have the rods reconditioned and the block line bored for the main bearings. And of coarse check timing cover/oil pump for anything worn. And when you reassemble, make sure the oil pump pick-up is squeaky clean inside and out. If your not sure just replace it. When you have the block work done make sure they clean the block completely along with new cam bearings.

Sorry to hear bout that failure.....hope it all works out well when it's done
Jake

·
Registered
946 Posts
One last thing I forgot to mention.......if you have ever thought about making improvements or getting more performance, do this while everything is apart for rebuild.......... Jake

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Jake. Not intrested in upgrades. Other then maybe oil pump. Im seeing where they are an issue. I have trickle charger, so ill definately go that route. Hopefully will get started in next month. Tranny went out an two burnt valves in husbands work truck. That has to get fixed. What amazes me is that truck is a 77 f150. Origional tranny, motor is a pull from a 1970 lincoln. You know its all got to have 300,000+ miles an just now having trouble. ?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts