3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 04 regal gs 3800 supercharged with a muffler delete an a filter off the throttle body it runs amazing 130,000 miles I get it up to 9 psi but usually under wot I only get 7.7 8 is that normal on a stock pulley an also I run 93 it feels fast asf my best 0-60 is 5.8 what should I do my budget is like a k

·
Administrator
1,218 Posts
Get a decently big filter and elbow to attach to the TB for a basic upgrade, if you want (3" diameter minimum, 4" even better). Think of it lioe like a straw your s/c is trying to draw air through. These items aren't expensive at a parts store or online at various places. Maybe $75-100 total.

Clean you MAF with the $7 spray that's sold specifically for the filaments. You can hit them thru the TB screen (leave the screen for accurate readings by the MAF).

Beyond that, get a basic scanning capability, so you are familiar with what the car's acting like in good condition, before you start messing with it. Troubleshooting when you don't have a baseline for "good/normal" operation just makes things more frustrating as you add new parts to the system.

After that, watch ZZP's videos on YouTube for top 3800 S/C mods, or whatever it's called, to start getting an idea of what is suggested. Research, reading around here and elsewhere, and knowing what each upgrade entails before diving in, will always help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i did all that it made a pretty big diffrence is 93 good or should i be shooting for like 95 also what is the cheapest way to monitor kr i would like to make sure im not messing anything up lol i got the car for 600$ so im trying to make it as fast as i can for as cheap as i can lol thanks for the advice man im happy to be apart of the group

·
Administrator
1,218 Posts
It's going to do fine on 93, especially if it's not showing more than 1-2deg if KR in most boost conditions. Your boost numbers seem normal for stock, as well.

Cheapest monitoring solution is the ELM OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner and the Torque app on your phone,.or similar app. Under $20 for live data.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cool gonna buy all that tonight thanks so much an what do you look for in the live data to see kr is it just the timing dropping or going higher thanks agian i really appricate all the help

·
Administrator
1,218 Posts
KR is basically equivalent to the "pain meter" doctors use, but for the severity of pinging or pre-ignition/detonation heard from the cylinders (by sensors in the engine block, not audible like old cars used to have). Spark plugs/pistons/etc. get hot when you push it hard, and the fuel may ignite before the plugs fire, which isn't good for the life of the engine, caused by a variety of things (too much boost/not enough fuel causing a lean condition, bad/wrong plugs for the setup, commanding too much advance when tuning, and a few less straight forward things).

Having either 0deg of KR means your timing advance will follow normal values, such as ~15-16deg at 100% throttle, or so. As that KR goes up, this advance is reduced by that number to try cooling off the situation a bit. Therefore, seeing maybe a blip of a small number on occasion with a stock-ish setup just lets you know you're on the edge. Any upgrades for power will probably require supporting mods to ensure you don't cause damage from high KR (our go-to symptom of a problem with the air/fuel, along with adding a Wideband O2 sensor as you get further along).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts