3800Pro Forums banner

Bonnie Trans Shock?

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  GTPMORAD 
#1 ·
While installing the SLP's this weekend we had to remove a small 4" shock absorber that was bolted to a bracket that was bolted to a bracket connected to the trans. Make sense? :p

Either way I don't think 2000+ Bonnies have it and I believe GTP's dont either, so what gives? I removed this mini shock and cut off the top half of its bracket to get the headers to fit. Was this to help prevent wheel hop?

#2 ·
Wheel hop, harsh engine movement, and engine vibration. I think it came into production after the early Series I L27's (1991-1992) in the Bonneville's because the bolts going into the tranny on that mount were corroding and getting jerked out. I had that problem in my old 1992 SE until I pulled one of these newer mount's off a 1994 in a salvage yard and I no longer had to retorque those bolts every week.
So keep an eye on those bolts and to be on the safe side pull the bolts out and apply a fresh coat of locktite on them to be sure they don't get jerked out as I'm sure there'll be abit of pressure on them now without the torque strut (I believe that is Pontiac's/GM's name for it).

#4 ·
I did not remove the bracket when installing the TOGs, all I did was cut about 3/8" off the top of the bracket for clearance. You might want to consider reinstalling it after rmoving some material.

Cheers,

#5 ·
That's the problem, I don't think I can reinstall it because of how much of the bracket was cut that connected to the shock. Maybe if I can find someone who is an experienced welder I could get it taken care of, but I think my SLP's go lower than the TOG's in that very same location. Cutting the top off like you did didn't seem to be an option.

I'd mainly like to know if any other 3800 powered cars use this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.