3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was lookn for a performance chip for my 3.8 99 Camaro I found 2 that grabbed my attention 1 is the blue chip for 20 bucks on ebay and 2 is the jet performance chip which is 239 on ebay im kinda afraid of the 20 buck chip isn't that too cheap any advise is greatly appreciated thanks

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
They are all garbage and the biggest money grab out there. There isn't even a spot that would accept an aftermarket chip on our ECM's. The only way to adjust anything is with a proper tune Via HPTuners or DHP. Contact Dyno Brian if your looking at seriously getting something that would actually improve things. $150 if I remember right and he will adjust anything to your liking.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Remember the commercials for the TORNADO!! Just remove your air cleaner and set this razor sharp splayed coffee can lid on top of your carburetor and you were good to go!! Unbelievable VORTEX or air rushing into your engine for max power and fuel economy!!..they must have made a lot over that scam!!.....cheers KEV:)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so instead of just putting my idea down how about giving me some advise on where to start I would like to add close to 100 hp and no I don't wanna do a ls1 swap

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
They are all garbage and the biggest money grab out there. There isn't even a spot that would accept an aftermarket chip on our ECM's. The only way to adjust anything is with a proper tune Via HPTuners or DHP. Contact Dyno Brian if your looking at seriously getting something that would actually improve things. $150 if I remember right and he will adjust anything to your liking.
not talking bad about you just pointing out that all chips do is make the car run too rich or lean (both bad for performance), get a real tune so the engine will run proper

... and then i notice that you have a camaro, that makes things tougher, forced induction is the only way for you to get what you seek, maybe put that l67 you listed for sale into the 'maro, it bolts in but you'd have to modify the firewall or throttle body to use the supercharger

·
Registered
612 Posts
The only way to adjust anything is with a proper tune Via HPTuners or DHP. Contact Dyno Brian if your looking at seriously getting something that would actually improve things. $150 if I remember right and he will adjust anything to your liking.
The PCM will adapt to a few minor mods at first, like a CAI or FWI, u-bend delete etc.
Take your time and gather up some info from posts on here. There are some excellent threads on here about first mods and don't forget to look at some of the vendors "performance packages" to find out some basic recipes for performance. It will give you some ideas where to start.
Good Luck and welcome to the forum!!

·
Registered
873 Posts
The "chips" on ebay are simply inline resistors to certain sensors.
They are a gimmick and you don't want them on your car,they'll cause nothing but issues.

The "chip" you are thinking of in the car's computer is no longer a "chip".

In 1996 they changed to flash programming of the computer,which means there are no more "chips" persay like there was previously.

The old type "chips" are completely different than what is being sold on ebay.
A "chip" for a pre-96 vehicle will still run ~$100 or so,NOT $20 so keep that in mind as well.

You need a "tune",which is flashing the non-removable "chip" in the computer.
Expect to pay a minmum of $100 or so for that as well.

Do not expect 100hp.
It is not a diesel,which just basically need more fuel for more power.
You have a gas engine,expect from 5hp to 25hp or somdepending on how non-stock and well planned your mods are.
Tune doesn't give you power,think of it as telling the computer how to best run your engine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok thanks does anyone know if they make a conversion kit to move the throttle body on the supercharged engine so it will fit my car

·
Registered
873 Posts
They do not.
As far as I know they beat the hell out of the firewall,or use an australian (holden) setup maybe?
Try typing it into the search function above,it's been done and they generally illustrate how they do it.
Search is best way to find stuff,sometimes people don't like to post the same stuff over and over again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts