3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been searching the forums and I haven’t found a discussion regarding my question yet. Perhaps I haven’t looked hard enough, but my searches anywhere else online aren’t taking me anywhere.
So, what’s the best year for the GTP? Which is considered the most reliable? Are all model years relatively the same in terms of reliability? Most make and model of vehicles have their little quirks year to year. Are there any years of the GTP that people try to avoid?

·
Super Moderator
370 Posts
By 1999-2000 most updates were applied that benefitted them most (better air box, alternator setup, transmission tweaks, etc.). In general, almost anything 1998-2003 are interchangeable (and some 1997 stuff, but that was a funky transition year). In 2001+, there's an additional tuning quirk added for the rear O2 sensor that needs attention if you delete your cat, and the interior got a minor update. The transmission electronics changed for 2003+, later enabling the TapShift on CompG/GXP models.

The 2004 facelift gave a new look with new electrical gremlins to chase (97-03 had their own, as well). Very minimal changes aside from badge names after that, with the few different models/packages available until the end of the s/c model in 2006-07 GT's.

I'd see what you like for price, appearance, features, miles, etc. and you can overcome anything as you own it. My cars have had parts from 1996-2008 cars in them, depending on the changes, but you can also stay fairly stock and just maintain its condition and looks for years to come.

Reactions: Shawn_H. 415
1 - 2 of 2 Posts