3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now i'm not saying i'm going to do this. I'm just thinking about it right now. Say you were building a TT system for a GTP and wanted Good Spool and a system that won't die off after 5000rpm. What turbo's would you go with? T4 Series? Something Bigger?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Let me throw this out there. I am not even remotely close to being an expert on turbos but I do belong to a Turbo forum and all those guys note that twin turbo is not the way to go. Even twin turbo Supras convert to a larger single turbo for the big power. (according to these guys)

·
Registered
130 Posts
The good thing about twins is the spool time. Depending on the one you use, they can be VERY fun on the street with spool times by 2500rpm on well setup twins. But if you do want big power numbers, and big highway speeds, definately go single.

Also, if you're doing twins in a w-body (assuming FWD), good luck fitting them. I thkn the companies are having enough fun craming in one. ;)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Pector55 said:
Let me throw this out there. I am not even remotely close to being an expert on turbos but I do belong to a Turbo forum and all those guys note that twin turbo is not the way to go. Even twin turbo Supras convert to a larger single turbo for the big power. (according to these guys)
i would have to agree with pector, now a days it seems with the advances made in turbo systems i think using a well picked single turbo would be better than a twin turbo setup, as far as the supra twin turbos i also believe pector is right about that also. because i read online somewhere that the non-twin turbo supras where putting on a good sized single turbo and ending up being faster than the twin turbo

·
Registered
713 Posts
Twin Garrett GT25's 260hp Turbine HSG A/R 0.63 at 10 lb turbo boost , with intercooler. 427 bhp for 6000 rpm redline for a good street combo.

Or GT25's 350hp Turbine HSG A/R 0.63 at 18lb turbo boost, with intercooler. 646 bhp for 7000 rpm redline.

All theory no practise :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
I agree with Mike, all of the twin turbo cars (Supra, 300ZX, 3000GT) normally convert over to a single big turbo on race applications. The Supra guys seem to do it more than the rest, but they are also making ungodly power.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I must contradict the single turbo theory since.....

-Matt M has twin turbos and has the best 1/4 mile time.
-Top secret's Smokey Nagata uses twin turbos on his freeway sluts, skyline and supras. When he blasts to 220 MPH.
-Twin turbo mustangs
-VRT twin turbo 350z and G35's
-Twin turbo Grand nationals.
- LS7 Lingenfelter Corvette
-oH YEAH.....Tims firebird.

Twin turbos will fit if you remove the power steering. Thats going to be the most efficient way to route the rear set of headers to the passenger side, resulting in closely equal length headers front and back. I've already been thinking about how it will all work. Im thinkin some t-50 trim turbos would work great. 2x Turbonetics w/stage 5 wheel.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I probably wouldn't worry about what he's gonna do, seeing as how this thread is three years old.:8

As for the discussion, I disagree with the idea that twin turbos have no place in a "powerful" car. When looking at all the factory TT cars that are converted to single turbo, one must first pay attention to how the turbos are run. Most of the Japanese cars listed above use a sequential setup from the factory. You can make a little bit more power than stock from a sequential setup, but for big numbers, a single turbo is the way to go. Especially on a Japanese six-cylinder with good volumetric efficiency.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Ill have to disagree with the japanese cars making big power out of just single turbos. If anyone has heard of the "v-12 supra" well, its twin turbo and made by Smokey Nagata who is a CAR GOD in his own right....especially since he probably only weighs in at aroun 150 lbs. Ill try and find a video of his cars on streetfire. Twin Turbos all the way.

Cuz when yo think about it, whats better than 1 Hot girl....one with a twin. and sure if you get some powerhouse golfball through a garden hose chick, thats all you would need, but life would be so much sweeter with the twins.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You guys seem to all be picking out single builds. Go find some of the fastest I4 and V6 guys on NHRA and find me how many are running twin turbo...

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
You guys seem to all be picking out single builds. Go find some of the fastest I4 and V6 guys on NHRA and find me how many are running twin turbo...
and how many can be daily driven? Oh yeah, the 4000 hp integra has twin turbos:icon_lol: true story you can find it everywhere.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/ef72972b-1543-4c67-a00e-052c936f472c.htm

IF ONE BIG TURBO IS GOOD, 2 SLIGHTLY SMALLER TURBOS ARE BETTER. and with our cubic displacement, a t-50 trim should produce 400 by itself on 3 cylinders. The key point is that they are only exposed to half the heat of a single turbo setup so temperatures are so much lower.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I had to ask what the hell ROFL means
and twin turbo's are a lot better for daily drivers Single turbo's are better for a top end type car. Why do you think the supra,Rx7, etc... came twin turbo factory??? if youve ever drove a GN before Throttle response isnt really there till 3200 RPM. However if you drive a GN with a twin turbo kit at the same psi it makes almost 100whp more hmmmm... at the same RPM's....just my .02

·
Registered
27 Posts
You're comparing a factory GN to one with thousands in upgrades to it. Also, the Supra's and RX-7's were sequential twin turbo from the factory, very different from what you are talking about. But lets compare...

Fastest Street Legal/Driven Supra: [email protected] runs a Greddy T88H-38GK
Fastest Toyota Sport Compact: [email protected] runs a single turbo on a 2JZ
Cal Hartline's GN: [email protected] runs a PT88

These are only a few example because I'm not spending much time searching for all the fastest records.

And how are large single turbo cars inadequade at daily driving? If you are planning on building a 500-600 FWHP car, I think you might be kind of ridiculous to use it as your "lets drive to work and get groceries" car. I know several members on CGP that are running single turbo and making 450+ WHP and those cars aren't used as DDs. Not because they can't be, but because you don't dump that much money into a car to log up miles and rock chips on it.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
The GN didnt have any other upgrades to it just a twinturbo kit that runs through the factory I/C its all a matter of personal taste when it comes down to it though If you wana run twin turbo....hell yea.....single turbo...hell yea thats why i stated my opinion. to me though its not worth running Twin turbo in a DD FWd though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The GN didnt have any other upgrades to it just a twinturbo kit that runs through the factory I/C its all a matter of personal taste when it comes down to it though If you wana run twin turbo....hell yea.....single turbo...hell yea thats why i stated my opinion. to me though its not worth running Twin turbo in a DD FWd though.
I definately agree with you on that one, there is far too much to move on a DD for a twin turbo setup, and a lot of piping! Twin turbo would be sweet for a bling factor but honestly, at that power level, single turbo might be less of a headache. Don't get me wrong, I still have respect for Matt's build, it just wouldn't be the route I would be taking.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I have to say though Matts build is kicking EVERYONE's ass right now. After The new build i wonder if matt or tim will break into the 8's. Funny thing is though Matt is FWD which makes it more interesting compared to Tim's firebird. Its funny when you think about it though, Both tim and matt are on TT setups while the Intense GP is on a single Turbo

1 - 20 of 43 Posts