3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a Buick Lacrosse with Rockers, HV3, Powerlogs and 2.5" catted DP along with a wizaired intake.

My intake is loud as hell but the mufflers on Buicks are extra quiet. Im looking for something that'll compliment the DP without sounding too raspy. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
8 Posts
ZZP Exhaust System sounded good on my Buick with the same setup. I also had poly motor mounts and transmission mounts which helped with the noise. The idle sounds nice, and the acceleration doesn't sound too loud.

I happen to have one for sale if you are interested ;) (Its off of my 2005 Buick Allure)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not in a position to purchase atm, just looking for input so I dont pick a ricey sounding muffler.

Did you have problems with your downpipe leaking? I've put 4 gaskets between the rear plog and and DP. They all leak at the flange. Word is ZZP doesn't do a good job welding stainless steel.

·
Super Moderator
376 Posts
Their stainless welds are usually very nice. Flanges, however, can be messed up if they don't align it quite right on the bench rig (angle) and/or get it hot enough to warp. Waiting on new Stattama pipes to upgrade the Z7 ones that are great, along with dual P-logs.

Good luck with the sound, as long as you don't get too raspy you'll be good. These aren't easy to help the sound with the front bank travelling extra to collect on N/A and SC setups. With there was a turbo-style crossover to fix that, because turbo's sound much smoother thanks to the centered merge.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After viewing some videos I think I'm gonna have a shop Fab a straight pipe off the DP and run a flowmaster 40.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I've got a Buick Lacrosse with Rockers, HV3, Powerlogs and 2.5" catted DP along with a wizaired intake.

My intake is loud as hell but the mufflers on Buicks are extra quiet. I'm looking for something that'll compliment the DP without sounding too raspy. Any recommendations?
I guess I would reccomend a ZZP resinator . They most likely will have 2", 2.5", and 3" sizes. You could also go to a good local exhaust repair shop to see what they have. Keep in mind the quieter the resinator is, the more restrictive it becomes........ this is particularly the case for highly modded cars. A resinator is less restrictive than a muffler. Mufflers generally have a series of chambers which will restrict exhaust flow more than a resinator. Mr Goodwrench(Jake)

·
Registered
941 Posts
I guess I would reccomend a ZZP resinator . They most likely will have 2", 2.5", and 3" sizes. You could also go to a good local exhaust repair shop to see what they have. Keep in mind the quieter the resinator is, the more restrictive it becomes........ this is particularly the case for highly modded cars. A resinator is less restrictive than a muffler. Mufflers generally have a series of chambers which will restrict exhaust flow more than a resinator. Mr Goodwrench(Jake)
On another note, if they are not doing smog testing where you live, you could remove the CAT which would give you more performance.....but as I mentioned, check to see if emissions testing is being done where you live before doing this type of change. Here in Minnesota, we can use just about anything as long as it's not so loud the police may tag you for NOISE.....

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can't get a tune for this vehicle so a cat delete is out of the question. I'll look into the zzp resonator

·
Registered
941 Posts
I totally don't get why you can't get a tune..... cat deleate should not have anything to do with a TUNE. Tuning is done after mods are performed..... good luck mr goodwrench

PS, check with DYNO TUNE MOTOR SPORTS............they can tune anything........and do it very well!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Buick Lacrosse isn't supported by any tuning software unless it's the LS4. I've checked into it thoroughly. Something about the PCM coding being too sophisticated

·
Super Moderator
376 Posts
It's usually based on demand to go through the effort. The platform is similar enough to have possible tunes, but someone at HPTuners or DiabloSport, etc. would need the financial incentive of multiple demanding customers to be worth the couple hours to map them out and apply the updated files. This is why you see the LS4 models only getting the love.

This happened with DHP PowrTuner access over time, until Charles stopped updating things in early 2007, but that cable doesn't work for most cars after 2004 due to CANbus updates and such.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've only found one outfit that claims to be able to tune for my car but I don't trust them. It's two guys operating out of an apartment in upstate New York who won't answer my questions about how they managed to tune a PCM no one else can.

PCMperformance.com

·
Super Moderator
376 Posts
Don't know them, but looks like they're doing each file manually, which isn't impossible, just takes time and effort.

Up to you if you want to go that route. You can get more information beyond their minimalist website, and see if they're going to do good work. Alternatively, you can get an AFC and O2 bung extension, if you want to do things the old way to avoid reprogramming.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I got my Buick Lacrosse supported by HP Tuners. I already bought a tuner, and they did a one-off for me. It was a 2005 Bucik Allure (Canadian version of the Lacrosse), so they might do it for you. I believe ZZP also sells a O2 sensor emulator, but in all honesty. Modern-day catalytic converters are not even all that restrictive.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I can’t say enough good things about SLP. My Monte has had the loudmouth catback system for around 13 years and it sounds great and still looks great. Pipes are 409 stainless (light oxidization) mufflers and tips 304 still shiny and new lookin.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts