3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What brands of front wheel bearings are worth buying these days? Looks like Moog & Timken are now made in China. AC Delco bearings are reportedly made in Korea and have issues. Other options?

2002 Buick Regal LS

·
Registered
867 Posts
At my repair shop, we have always had excellent results using timkin. Never had a bad or short life span using timkin bearings. On another note, we have had pretty good results with moog. Either one is a good choice. Jake

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. Where do you source your bearings? I suspect Moog & Timken probably have at least 2 different grades of bearings then.

I have 3 torque wrenches and am not afraid to use them. ;)

·
Registered
867 Posts
Generally we buy wheel bearings from FACTORY MOTOR PARTS here in Minnesota. It's my understanding FACTORY MOTOR PARTS has distribution warehouses in several states. They are also a GM parts supplier/warehouse. One does need to establish an account to purchase from them. Not sure what kind of agreement factory and GM have......I'm guessing it's the prices....I believe GM dealerships get a better price than independent shops get.....like us.
I do remember talking to a GM parts rep a few years ago and they do work together on distribution and prices.

If I were in your shoes, I would stick with MOOG or TIMKEN...... Good quality.... Jake

·
Registered
867 Posts
Thanks for the info. Where do you source your bearings? I suspect Moog & Timken probably have at least 2 different grades of bearings then.

I have 3 torque wrenches and am not afraid to use them. ;)
At our shop we use FACTORY MOTOR PARTS....(FMP) Never had a bad one from them. My understanding is FMP has spread it's sales pretty much nation wide. They used to only have a few warehouses around the country.. now they are more wide spread nationally. I have never had any issues with them. They deliver to our shop(close by warehouse in our neck of the woods). This would be my go to choice. BUT, you could probably get a decent price at AUTO ZONE.
Good luck, Jake (mr goodwrench)

·
Registered
222 Posts
RockAuto.com has every brand mentioned here ($75-90 range... find a 5% discount code on RetailMeNot). They've also got some budget brands for about half the price, depending on how you feel about that. They will most likely work out of the box, but longevity is the question.

·
Registered
867 Posts
What brands of front wheel bearings are worth buying these days? Looks like Moog & Timken are now made in China. AC Delco bearings are reportedly made in Korea and have issues. Other options?

2002 Buick Regal LS
My take is no matter where or who you buy bearings from, they are still out of china and possibly Korea. My thoughts on this is the wages paid to the work force where they are made. OH, lets not forget about MEXICO!! It seems a major portion of out purchased good are from somewhere other than the US!! Best of luck. That said, make sure where ever you purchase these parts, double check the WARANTEE!! Mr goodwrench(Jake)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts