3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not expecting anybody here to know much about this, but I sometimes typing my thoughts out will trigger an idea.

The TKX conversion in my Camaro was botched in some way or another. I just haven't figured out how. The trouble is that Tremec insists on the input shaft being within 0.005" of center in the crank shaft. This doesn't even seem possible given the amount of slop in everything else is likely much bigger than that.... Anyway, I'm playing their stupid game because all my symptoms point in that direction. Going into 1st from a stop is sometimes tricky and the 1-2 shift is grind city over 4k rpm. My block has never been align bored, and the bellhousing is a factory unit. It shouldn't be terribly far from in spec, but for some reason it's wacky!
Automotive tire Asphalt Gas Circle Automotive wheel system

This doesn't make any sense. These measurements imply that my bell is ovaled or warped because I have two positive out of spec measurements 180 degrees apart from each other. It wasn't like this before I installed the transmission last summer. It turns into much more reasonable (albeit not good) numbers when I leave the lower driver side bolt loose though.

I have history with that section of block I had a very stuck dowel pin that required some serious beating to remove. To clean up the block, I knocked it down with a grinder, so torqueing that bolt could definitely be causing the bell to stretch in funny ways. I'm going to check for flatness and attempt to shim it, but the most flat bar I have is a bubble level. I don't think it will have the precision I need. Even if it did, I have doubts that this will fix my shifting problems.

ugh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Welp, I just threw the eccentric dowel pins in as my new measurements would suggest. When I remeasured afterward, I the bellhousing moved as much as I would have expected which tells me.... something. lol I guess it confirms that my measurement techniques are fine, but I have no idea what's going on with the bell. Since it moved accordingly, the bell is still not in spec. It's out about double the spec, but I threw it back together anyway. I wasn't about to ask the machinist for a third favor because of my mistake.

This time I paid much closer attention to my clutch bleeding. I bled alone with a speed bleeder, but this time I pumped the pedal with my hand and watched the clear hose. I was making bubbles if I pumped too fast or opened the bleeder more than 1/4 turn, so I went very slow with a barely cracked bleeder.

Viola! The transmission and clutch feel amazing! I can shift this car from 1 to 2 at 6k like butter. I'm going to chalk this up as a hydraulic issue and not so much a bell issue. I can't imagine that the alignment matters nearly as much as Tremec says. .005" is insanely tight and unachievable with sloppy stock aluminum bells.
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Top