3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a quick guide that assumes a stock 1996-2003 3800 throttle body.

"IAT" – Intake Air Temperature – This sensor is in charge of detecting the temperature of the air coming into the engine. You will find this sensor plugged into the stock rubber duct that connects your air box to your throttle body. This is a 2 wire connection.

"IAC" – Idle Air Control – This sensor is in charge of metering a small amount of airflow into the engine to keep it idling. Basically, it acts like a tiny throttle blade. You will find this sensor located on the side of the throttle body, it is a 4 wire connection.

"MAF" – Mass Air Flow – This sensor is in charge of detecting the amount of air flowing into the motor. It is located in the top outer end of the throttle body. It is identified as a rectangular black plastic box on the top of the throttle body. It is a 3 wire connection.

"TPS" – Throttle Position Sensor – This sensor is in charge of detecting the throttle blade position. It is located on the side of the throttle body and is a 3 wire connection.

:)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Iac

Can I use carb cleaner to clean the IAC & the Carbon in the throttle body without it hurting the throttle body or anything else? I know to remove the MAF Sensor. My Daughter has a 2001 Grand Prix GT & it has a poor idle & I supect that this port is stopped up with carbon.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Can I use carb cleaner to clean the IAC & the Carbon in the throttle body without it hurting the throttle body or anything else? I know to remove the MAF Sensor. My Daughter has a 2001 Grand Prix GT & it has a poor idle & I supect that this port is stopped up with carbon.
I heard you can clean the MAF with carb cleaner. I've done it. Did I damage my MAF?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
rubbing alchohol on a cotton swap gently clean the wires for the MAF or use CRC mass airflow sensor cleaner anything else causes oil and dirt to stick to the wires and mess up the maf

·
Registered
57 Posts
Anyone ever heard of K&N oil getting on the MAF vanes and mess'n them up?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
yea thats why i used to get messed up MAF readings the AEM dryflo are the best on the market flows more than the K&N and more efficent and dosent use any oil or need any special cleaner just soap and water

1 - 9 of 9 Posts