3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know anything about the Australian intake manifolds and throttle bodies for the 3800s I’ve read on a few old posts they’re better but can’t find anything explaining the differences. Where would I even get one and is it worth doing?

·
Super Moderator
330 Posts
I bought one via Australian eBay this summer (ebay.com.au ...Edit: confirm seller will ship to US). I've had one for this car before, and had to delay/sell due to heading to Basic Trng before I could work on the conversion 10+ years ago. The Holden's longer runners are similar to aftermarket hi-ram intakes V8's favor. MattM's Stattama car uses it with a custom upper plenum, and is a big fan.

It also requires their alternator bracket (luckily, mine came with it), and I got a reman'd pre-99 style alternator that required minor adjustments to work. Fbody components may also help here. The thermostat housing will be behind the coil packs, and needs extra routing to the radiator. (Obviously, many minor vac line tweaks, as well.). Not sure if the stock throttle cables will get there or need replacing, yet.

Since I'm running L67 heads, my fuel rail interferes with the throttle body, so I'm making a 3/4" phenolic spacer based off the gasket, similar to the Mace ones sold in Australia. The TB blade is small diameter, like our L36's, so I'm swapping in my 75mm N* TB with minor tweaks to the L32/26 adapter plate. You can run the Holden TB and fuel rails just fine, but I'm swapping out of preference.

- Dave

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh damn that’s dope. Do I need to get a tune after? Also what engines did these come from ?

·
Super Moderator
330 Posts
You'd definitely be changing the airflow characteristics into the engine, and it's worth upgrading the TB/MAF in the process, especially from an L36 (Series 2 N/A US and AUS blades are both tiny). The Holden Commodore VS, VT, VX, VY generations (1995/6-2004... give or take a year) got the Series 2 3800's, called "Ecotec" in Austrailia. :cautious:

There's also a small number of Holden Monaro's (the 2-door version we got as the Pontiac GTO) with the CV6 option for L67's like a bunch of Commodores got, but they were too pampered with LS V8's by then, so they stuck with that in the coupes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Does anyone know anything about the Australian intake manifolds and throttle bodies for the 3800s I’ve read on a few old posts they’re better but can’t find anything explaining the differences. Where would I even get one and is it worth doing?
I think the lim is the same only the front nipple is capped cause we dont use a map sensor over here & as fare as the t.b. is concerned garbage. Fully ported they max out to 69mm alot of guys either go with an ls1 t.b. & adaptor plate from mace engineering of go all out with an ADZ u bend with either a 92 or 102mm ss ind bigmouth t.b.

·
Super Moderator
330 Posts
True, most of the s/c things aren't too drastically different, but I don't think that's his focus. The big thing we like is the n/a intake, because our version has almost no runner length. The Firebird/Camaro intakes are slightly better, but Holdens have a great design compared to both US styles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts