3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey I'm currently doing headgasket/intake/supercharger gasket change out. Swapping out the old plastic intake gasket with the aluminium ac delco gaskets. Now I ordered the gasket kit from zzp along with arp head studs. The directions say to use ARP Thread Sealer on the studs that go into the water jacket. I picked up some Permatex Thread Sealer and was wondering if anyone had any tips when doing these.

I did a search on the ARP Studs and saw that some people had trouble with there new studs leaking?? I'm not even sure what studs go into the water jackets. I havn't really looked at them yet to see witch ones do though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After reading a bunch I found out your supposed to use Teflon Tape on the studs that go into the block to revent leaking. DAH! Said it right on the ZZP site on the info. I read a bunch of people using ARP Thread Sealer and it still leaked. ZZP says to used the Teflon Tape on all the holes that go into the block and to only hand tighten the studs into the block. Then to torque to 80 ft lb. in three equal steps being sure to use the ARP Assembly Lubricant.

·
Premium Member
3,504 Posts
Why in the hell would tape work over sealer? I have never had problems with ARP sealer on small block ford water passages. What the hell is the difference with a 3800?

·
Registered
713 Posts
Always used Stag Joining paste/sealer & nipped the studs up snug in the block. Haven't had any problems so far.

Cheers

Deek

·
Registered
612 Posts
For a sealing application with water/oil/gas I would use a teflon paste/sealer like OZ said. It is easier to use than tape and never slips around or off. Sold at Ace Hardware stores in the plumbing section.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Hey I'm no mechanic I was just reading off the ZZP site about the teflon tape. The ARP Directions say to use the ARP Thread Sealer. And then on the ZZP Performance site is says

"" Greatly improved clamping reduces the risk of head gasket failure. Recommended 45, 70, 85 ft/lbs using moly lube. Studs last for the lifetime of your engine making them a great investment over the single-use torque to yield bolts from the factory.

Teflon tape required for threads going into the block to prevent coolant leaks. Do not use a paste to seal these! ""

So now im kinda confused here.... lol

·
Registered
612 Posts
I was just letting you know what I use.
Use teflon tape, then if it leaks....you can blame ZZP. :)

·
Registered
348 Posts
I used permatex on mine. I had a very small leak on a couple studs at first but it stopped without any further work on my part. I would suggest using a bit more than the instructions indicate.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Hey I'm currently doing headgasket/intake/supercharger gasket change out. Swapping out the old plastic intake gasket with the aluminium ac delco gaskets. Now I ordered the gasket kit from zzp along with arp head studs. The directions say to use ARP Thread Sealer on the studs that go into the water jacket. I picked up some Permatex Thread Sealer and was wondering if anyone had any tips when doing these.

I did a search on the ARP Studs and saw that some people had trouble with there new studs leaking?? I'm not even sure what studs go into the water jackets. I havn't really looked at them yet to see witch ones do though.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Well, here's my FIX to stop coolant from leaking at studs.......my secret is "ZEP FAST GASKET RED". In my opinion this is probably the best sealer for just about any need to seal up. On another note, one should clean the studs dry and use the ZEP to stop any stud threads from allowing any coolant seepage. As always, it's a good idea to allow the sealer to dry up enough to stop most any leaks......except fuel. Jake / mr. goodwrench PS, it's also a good idea to clean up the threads for the head studs......

·
Registered
1998 GTP coupe. All stock and rust free. That will change soon.
75 Posts
why are you bumping threads that are 8 or 9 years old?

Reactions: dezldave961

·
Registered
994 Posts
The simple answer is I was not aware there may have been an older post talking about this . Also, I did not see any old posts regarding this issue. Maybe next time I might see a post concerning this. ON another note, what's wrong with using a great sealer for positively sealing up these threads? mr goodwrench.........

·
Registered
994 Posts
Why in the hell would tape work over sealer? I have never had problems with ARP sealer on small block ford water passages. What the hell is the difference with a 3800? Maybe they don't understand that when screwing in the studs, the TAPE can get torn or shreaded duing install.
Guess some people just don't get it............ OH WELL.......... Hi BRIAN, my GTP you programed(2003 GTP) is still running flawless and still has loads of power. NO ISSUES AT ALL..... It runs excellent and I couldn't ask for anything better.

·
Super Moderator
678 Posts
BLUF - we want you to post, just in current topics that are actively getting back & forth discussion.

You are literally arguing with nobody to hear yourself type, rather than engaging with active conversations that engage with people currently reading here. There's clear date stamps at the top of each post that list when the post was made.

I always click the NEW post button when I visit here, because digging up old topics nobody here is asking about does nothing but cause confusion and one-sided responses without the context of the time when it was originally posted.

If you want to hock a product you had a good experience with, feel free to start your own thread that gives your feedback for others to engage in. That gives a more directed discussion that will be more helpful to active members.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Guess some people just don't get it............ OH WELL.......... Hi BRIAN, my GTP you programed(2003 GTP) is still running flawless and still has loads of power. NO ISSUES AT ALL..... It runs excellent and I couldn't ask for anything better.
I'm guessing that some on the forum don't believe in a GREAT sealer like ZEP RED. I have used this stuff for years with zero issues and GREAT RESULTS. I say if you don't care for that, it's ok. After all everyone gets to have their choices. As mentioned, Dyno Brian seems to think this is an OK way to go. That said, simply ignore me and use your choice.
Thanks for listening ....... Jake/ mr. goodwrench (On another note, most sealers will do the job.....but Zep is the best.)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts