3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Edit: Sorry new to the forum and not knowing where to post, so this has been cut and pasted from the cam section as well, hold back the flames please ... :eek:

Hey L67 3800 Owners,

Not sure if this is the correct section to be posting but it seemed the most hardcore in the way of mod's so here I go ...

A bit of a brief intro from the land of Oz from FIT.

My name is Tony and I am the Technical Sales Director and S/C V6 Enthusiast at FIT Australia, as I'm sure some of you may know.

... without getting too caught up in introductions because I know this isn't the right section for it, I'd like to ask ...

Have any of you guys pushed the limits of the "Internally Standard" L67 ?

And if so what was the power at the wheels recording ?

I'm sure there's a few broken one's around the place, maybe for the wrong reasons, such as detonation, or general component failure or fatigue, but just wondering really ...

"Where is the limit for an internally standard L67" ?

We have our Internally Standard L67 Turbo Test Mule pushing 440rwhp (fwhp to you guys) and realising an 11.688 @ 121.78 mph down the 1/4 mile with a 1.976 60'ft time in a RWD Commodore that weighs 4000lbs !!

BTW - Hat's off to Scott Cook and Ed Morad ... legendary times !!
(and all you others that are achieving unbelievable results)

Anyone able to shed light on this topic/subject ?

Regards

Tonsta

·
Registered
130 Posts
guys have been pushing 400hp out of a lot of engines without a problem. the only reason most of them go is because detonation, or something wasn't put back in. ;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
I cracked several pistons. That was not on an L67 though. It was on an L36. I went lean on a 125 shot of nitrous and detonated like crazy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds about right ... that's why we were curious, because most engines go before there time due to external factors, no necessairly engine strength, and we were just trying to determine the limits of the stock components.

If we have read correctly Scott Cooks engine is pumping 660+whp and has a fully rebuilt motor ... was it ever tried with a stock L67 and has anything ever broken along the way.

P.S. You guys are light years ahead of us in Oz with regards to hardcore engines, horsepower and times.

Suppose we don't have anywhere near as many in circualtion here, nor enough owners with enough funds to really go hardcore on them just yet.

Have you guy's had any issues in general with the L67's faults wise ?

Regards

Tonsta

P.P.S (Not to be confused with P.M.S :D ) Sorry for all the questions ...

·
Registered
49 Posts
COrrect me if I am wrong, but don't L67's have forged pistons? When I took the stock pistons out of my L36, they felf like they were made of plastic. They were really crappy hypereutectic pistons. A few of them had hairline fractures on the face, but one was totally messed up. It threw off a chunk on the side. It looked almost as though the top piston ring overheaded, expanded, and forced the piston to break.

www.cardomain.com/memberpage/600086

have a look

·
Registered
26 Posts
malice10985 said:
COrrect me if I am wrong, but don't L67's have forged pistons? When I took the stock pistons out of my L36, they felf like they were made of plastic. They were really crappy hypereutectic pistons. A few of them had hairline fractures on the face, but one was totally messed up. It threw off a chunk on the side. It looked almost as though the top piston ring overheaded, expanded, and forced the piston to break.

www.cardomain.com/memberpage/600086

have a look
I believe they are hypereutectic just like the L36, but there are stronger.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm sure you'll find many of us who've popped pistons.

·
Registered
713 Posts
RedFrk said:
I believe they are hypereutectic just like the L36, but there are stronger.
I understand they are made of the same materials and processes.
Although the gudgeon pin to piston top height is different, as the L36 pistons sit on a slightly longer rod. The L67 pistons sit on a slightly shorter rod as compared to each other.

The measurement from the piston top to the first ring groove on the L67 appears to be larger than the L36.
Maybe this is why the L67 piston handles boost or increases in boost better than the stock L36 piston.

·
Registered
120 Posts
If we have read correctly Scott Cooks engine is pumping 660+whp and has a fully rebuilt motor
They dyno'd 535 WHP with forged pistons. The 660+ posted number was an estimation of engine HP.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts