3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While changing my lower intake gaskets to the aluminum framed, I noticed pitting around the coolant ports. I have also read on the internet that you are not to apply any sealants or rtv to the gaskets or mating surfaces but none of the articles explained why. Does anyone know why? And how bad is it to use sealant or rtv to fill the pitting?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
849 Posts
We use Zep high temp red silicone sealer all the time on intake and most other types of gasket replacement all the time at my shop with O problems. In your case, for sure you would want to use some to help seal up that pitting. In the areas where there is no pitting, only a very thin layer is needed. Too much sealer can get lodged in the ridges of the gaskets sealing areas and possibly split the gasket during the final torque. So we would recomend a very thin layer of sealer (1/32"). THE EXCEPTION TO THIS IS THE LOWER COENERS OF THE MANIFOLD WHERE IT MEETS THE TOP EDGE OF THE BLOCK. In this area we use more. Approx 1/4" in the corner only.

Hope this helps, Jake L.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
While changing my lower intake gaskets to the aluminum framed, I noticed pitting around the coolant ports. I have also read on the internet that you are not to apply any sealants or rtv to the gaskets or mating surfaces but none of the articles explained why. Does anyone know why? And how bad is it to use sealant or rtv to fill the pitting?

Thanks in advance.
....it creates an uneven surface where a leak of some sort can happen (vac leak, coolant) that's all. In some situations, engine pressure can push out gaskets combined with RTV silicone. I use a very thin coat of RTV if I do see some pitting, just an inconcernable amount though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Possible intake manifold failure

I have a 2003 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi. I had to replace the water pump and the elbows under the pulley. It agian is leaking coolant. This time there isn't a leak on the ground or there is not coolant smell. I assume the lower intake manifold gasket is bad. I can have this replaced, but I am wondering if it is too late. The motor has a knock when you first start it cold. Any ideas please?!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts