3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Impala SS 129,000 miles in June 2021. 86 Olds 442 with a '68 Olds 350
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know these controllers are a little on the obsolete side and their hey day was over a decade ago but Ive had good success with a 1.2 mini afc however it add additional fuel throughout the whole range and I really only need to richen up the 5300-5800 range. 2% or 3% on the 1.2 afc does the job in 55 degree weather or 90 degree weather but it's still adding fuel where I dont need it. The 2.0-2.2 would be ideal to add 2-3% more fuel in the 8000-10,000Hz range. I doubt there's any more of these controller available since people have moved on to canned tunes or tuning software however tuning software is out because i have no plans to go any further with this project. The 3.6" is actually less touchy/finicky than the 3.5" and there's not a huger difference in performance. (05 Impala L67 front plog, 3" DP).

I often wondered with the mini afc 1.2 that I use now with good results, no KR, impressive performance for a 3.6" pulley, when I have it set at 2-3%, at WOT, my LTFT are within 3% however at cruising, they're less than -8%. Should I even be concerned about cruising LTFT and just look at the WOT LTFTs? EVENTUALLY I play on putting the 3.5" pulley on it and finding a place in metro Detroit, I think there's place right here in Livonia that may do a custom tune. Im just leary of a mail order tune and spending the money on a custom tune isnt a problem. In the mean time, a mini afc 2.0-2.2 or whatever has the 3 wire AFC set up is available out there somewhere, that would be a lot more tunable for high end minor lean out. By the looks of the vintage articles in this forum, these devices were popular back in the early mid 2000s before mail order tunes and tuning software was available but until I get a custom tune, Im going easy with the 3.6" pulley and the mini afc 1.2 .

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Mr super moderator/Mr No N2O, I think I'm just going to pay the core charge, keep my stock PCM, bite the bullet and order a standard Intense 1.0 and go back to the 3.5" pulley. My reluctance to do this is because I have a way of being the "murphy" of murphy's law. Not worried about the security relearn or CASE re learn at all. Just last week I thought I had a rod knock or a shot supercharger coupler but it turned out to be a rotted out bubonic balancer. Couldn't believe how easy that was to change for a FWD. As far as the mail order tune, I get that bad feeling Im going to either get knock, need octane booster, have a super hard 1-2 shift, 6000 rpms shifts instead of 5800 or it'll run super rich and I'll have raw fuel dripping out of the tail pipes. If I pay for a core, I always have my stock PCM or go the other route with a place in Livonia, Mi called "Boost controlled performance". Hopefully it's not one of those high dollar places that blows you off if you're not there to spend 20K to get a 900 HP engine installed. Remote tuning looks like a viable option too instead of a cookie cutter tune. OR just leave it alone with the 3.6" pulley and the mini AFC 1.2 and call it a day. Ran the 3.6" for 2+ years and was content with that and wasnt constantly staring at an aeroforce gauge. I can rag on the mid 12 second Olds 442 I have if I want to go fast. Maybe it's better to not kick a sleeping dog in the butt.

·
Super Moderator
763 Posts
There may still be some guys at Livernois around the Detroit metro who can do a tune for you, but it's probably not too necessary for what they'd charge.

Like many higher boost turbo guys, I run an AFC, along with some other tricks, to avoid hitting the max MAF value in the pcm when pushing it pretty hard. LTFT's under WOT are set by where they've locked in at the last adjustment point they were at as you transitioned from regular fueling to Performance Enrichment around 30-35% throttle and up. Therefore, having the whole range dialed in to not be making major % adjustments on the way up is just as important.

You can either tinker with what you have now, and try getting it as happy as it can be with mild tweaks of the AFC, or drop the money to have the pcm properly adjusted with some tuning... up to you. We largely moved away from AFC/ICCU piggybacks for basic 3800 tuning in 2004-2005 (after only 2-3yrs on the market by ZZP/EasyPerf), when DHP came out with the PowrTuner, and HPTuners soon after (along with a couple others in the background).

There's almost no option for cookie-cutter anymore, anyways. That ship sailed as the vendors dwindled down (although at your level, it'd be exactly what minor bolt-on work they were dialed in for).

- Dave (just a dude, not a volunteer'd forum role deflecting foreign spammers)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There may still be some guys at Livernois around the Detroit metro who can do a tune for you, but it's probably not too necessary for what they'd charge.

Like many higher boost turbo guys, I run an AFC, along with some other tricks, to avoid hitting the max MAF value in the pcm when pushing it pretty hard. LTFT's under WOT are set by where they've locked in at the last adjustment point they were at as you transitioned from regular fueling to Performance Enrichment around 30-35% throttle and up. Therefore, having the whole range dialed in to not be making major % adjustments on the way up is just as important.

You can either tinker with what you have now, and try getting it as happy as it can be with mild tweaks of the AFC, or drop the money to have the pcm properly adjusted with some tuning... up to you. We largely moved away from AFC/ICCU piggybacks for basic 3800 tuning in 2004-2005 (after only 2-3yrs on the market by ZZP/EasyPerf), when DHP came out with the PowrTuner, and HPTuners soon after (along with a couple others in the background).

There's almost no option for cookie-cutter anymore, anyways. That ship sailed as the vendors dwindled down (although at your level, it'd be exactly what minor bolt-on work they were dialed in for).
Thank you for the run down. Looks like 2 options. Tinker with what I have , make it work (and it seems to be working fairly good) and just drive/ enjoy the car or stop being so stubborn and just get a Intense 1.0 PCM as they've sold thousands of them for minor bolt ons and in my case, not that radical of a pulley drop. If it runs this well with a stock PCM with just raised shift points and an old afc controller, Im curious to see what a tuned PCM can do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts