3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I need to replace the rear exhaust manifold gasket on my 3.8. Anyone have any advice on what I must remove to get at it. I have the Chiltons book on it. Here is the questions. Do I need to remove the alternator, the mass air flow sensor, and transaxle dipstick (how to do without losing transmission fluid)? The rest of the directions look reasonable. Also I would like to order a set of exhaust manifold studs in advance. I think they are M8 x 1.25 (from using my tap kit (the 5/16" didn't work). I am ready to use my acetone/atf mixture to penetrate the stubborn threads. Anyone know the length of these studs? I would like to buy them ahead of time because my local buick dealer soaks me big time and doesn't get things in a timely manner. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Not certain if this applies to your car.....I disconnected the front 2 motor mounts, and the car was pushed to rotated the engine while in park to expose the rear manifold after the down and cross over pipes were disconnected.
What a long time ago that was too. 2000 or 2001. Installed TOG headers back then.

Cheers

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not certain if this applies to your car.....I disconnected the front 2 motor mounts, and the car was pushed to rotated the engine while in park to expose the rear manifold after the down and cross over pipes were disconnected.
What a long time ago that was too. 2000 or 2001. Installed TOG headers back then.

Cheers

That is a capital idea! Anything that gives me more room is good. What year and make was it?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
My 2000 Grand Prix GTX. Be careful of not hitting the radator

1 - 4 of 4 Posts