3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine was helping me look over my engine tonight to find out why it was stalling at idle and it all came down to the throttle cable is loose by only a little bit, like 1/8" or less and when the throttle is held back by that much it idles just fine. I have a throttle body spacer in there from ZZP to block the hot coolant from entering the throttle body, could that possibly be the simple reason for the cable being that loose? Otherwise, is there an easy way to shorten the cable by just that much?

·
Registered
172 Posts
you still messin with that thing? wouldnt it be easier to just adjust the idle itself up with that little set screw and nut? its at the bottom of the tb on the cable side. all the tb's i have got it on there

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you still messin with that thing? wouldnt it be easier to just adjust the idle itself up with that little set screw and nut? its at the bottom of the tb on the cable side. all the tb's i have got it on there
Well that would just make a lot of sense wouldn't it! Didn't know that screw was down there. So all I have to do it turn it and it should fix the problem?

·
Registered
172 Posts
pretty much, its got a stop nut on it you need to undo and back out a bit... then adjust it where you need and lock it back down. dont remember the head on that set screw... seems like i remember a torx bit or a super tiny socket. and check the tach to make sure your not idled too high, i dont ever pay attention but i think 600-800 is okay

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pretty much, its got a stop nut on it you need to undo and back out a bit... then adjust it where you need and lock it back down. dont remember the head on that set screw... seems like i remember a torx bit or a super tiny socket. and check the tach to make sure your not idled too high, i dont ever pay attention but i think 600-800 is okay
Ok thanks. I'll take a look, probably gonna have to take the TB off since I have a ZZP TB heat shield bolted on there and there isn't much room to see underneath.

·
Registered
172 Posts
check idle with your foot on the brakes and in drive too cause it may be too low there and still stall

·
Registered
172 Posts
if you give me 5 minutes i can go take a pic and point it out and maybe tell ya the size bit

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if you give me 5 minutes i can go take a pic and point it out and maybe tell ya the size bit
Yea I got all the time in the world right now. That would just be awesome! Thanks.

·
Registered
172 Posts
i didnt actually check but my eye says start with a deep 8mm socket to back the nut out and a t15 torx bit for the screw. ive never touch that adjustment on that tb and it was loose as hell, probably your problem... if ya got some loctite use it!

tb.jpg

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i didnt actually check but my eye says start with a deep 8mm socket to back the nut out and a t15 torx bit for the screw. ive never touch that adjustment on that tb and it was loose as hell, probably your problem... if ya got some loctite use it!

View attachment 4022
Wow, thanks! I can't believe I didn't even see it there. I have to go check it out and see if that fixes the problem even though it's 10pm and my car is loud as hell.

·
Registered
172 Posts
go ahead and piss the neighbors off, its the weekend! they dont have to be up for work... let me know

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
haha it worked! The nut was an 8mm but the torx was a T10. The nut was stuck on the screw though so I had to back it out all the way and use the torx and socket to break it loose. Tightened it down pretty good to get it to idle so right now it's at right about 1k rpm idle. Sometimes a tad higher, so I guess I could back the screw off a bit? Any yea I don't mind pissing off some neighbors but the people right next door have been there longer than I have been alive and they are in their 80's so I don't like to keep them up at night all the time. The car finally runs though and it only took a week longer than it needed to. Thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
172 Posts
no problem... i just checked and mine idles at 900 idle and 800 with it in drive and brake on. guess im getting used to my wifes car that idles at 600ish = her air works better and she gets better mpg's. thats my l32 powered gtp though, not my gt. the gt is too loud and my neighboors will call the cops lol ask me how i know...lol

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
no problem... i just checked and mine idles at 900 idle and 800 with it in drive and brake on. guess im getting used to my wifes car that idles at 600ish = her air works better and she gets better mpg's. thats my l32 powered gtp though, not my gt. the gt is too loud and my neighboors will call the cops lol ask me how i know...lol
Yea I guess I will turn it down a tad in the morning, I am heading out with some friends to Thunderdome in Rockford for the day. I don't think i'm gonna drive on the track though to make sure I can drive it home in one piece. Haha I sure hope my neighbors never call the cops on me, though my brother and I worked with a friend to build an '86 Mustang with a 5.0L 302 and a 5-spd with a 9 inch rear axle and when the clutch break-in period was up he did a burnout in front of my house on the 4th of July and I think someone almost called the cops then :icon_lol:

·
Registered
172 Posts
i dont really blame my neighbors, i just got another 9mm pistol on trade and i just had to test it out by emptying the clip into the ground out back. i denied the whole incident and had picked up all the casings before the cops got here... and since she didnt actually see me i got off. then they got forclosed on a few months later and never seen them again. my neighbors come outside and cheer when i do burnouts, the kids love it... i kinda like living in the ghetto, cheap housing... and its easy as hell to have the best looking house on the block

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sooooooo....

Just when I thought it was all good, got a CEL on. Took it over to Advance to get the code read and he said idle control system so now it's idling too high and when I am braking the engine will rev up a tad and back off and do it over and over again till I am stopped. I checked the IAC and it was working, or at least I thought it was. Where should I look to fix this? or should I just back off the idle screw a tad more?

·
Registered
752 Posts
Guys, the throttle stop screw is not a way to adjust the idle. It is there so the throttle blade does not bind up against the TB housing. Get a scanner that can show throttle position in % and set your screw so the TPS shows zero %. The PCM will run like &#!t otherwise. While you have the scanner, check to make sure your TPS shows 0% and 100% correctly, once this is done, look for your problems elsewhere. Sometimes bad LIM gaskets do this or a bad IAC valve or vacuum leaks, how much vacuum do you have at idle?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Guys, the throttle stop screw is not a way to adjust the idle. It is there so the throttle blade does not bind up against the TB housing. Get a scanner that can show throttle position in % and set your screw so the TPS shows zero %. The PCM will run like &#!t otherwise. While you have the scanner, check to make sure your TPS shows 0% and 100% correctly, once this is done, look for your problems elsewhere. Sometimes bad LIM gaskets do this or a bad IAC valve or vacuum leaks, how much vacuum do you have at idle?
That's sorta the conclusion that I just came to when the CEL came on. By getting a scanner, I am guessing you mean a little better than that code scanner I can rent at autozone? I honestly don't know how much vacuum I have at idle, how would I find that out? Probably need that scanner to figure it out right?

·
Registered
752 Posts
even some autozone readers have the option to show you the TPS, but you need to play with the features to find out if it does have it. for the vacuum you need a vacuum gauge or a really nice scanner that would show this. If you are going to mod in the future, HP Tuners is a good investment, will open a whole new door for you, it has all the features you will ever need, plus you can read other GM cars with it ;)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
even some autozone readers have the option to show you the TPS, but you need to play with the features to find out if it does have it. for the vacuum you need a vacuum gauge or a really nice scanner that would show this. If you are going to mod in the future, HP Tuners is a good investment, will open a whole new door for you, it has all the features you will ever need, plus you can read other GM cars with it ;)
Ok thanks, maybe I will rent the autozone one again and read the instruction booklet and see what it can do. I really don't have any future plans to do any more mods to this engine except maybe a trans shift kit or something. I have been pretty happy with it until it started having problems. Went from front O2 sensor to EGR problem to snapping a pushrod in half and then when I replaced the pushrods the engine wouldn't idle at all. Just start and die and sometimes not even start all the way. I will try to pick that thing up at autozone tomorrow morning and see what's going on then post back with any information I can get. I will definitely keep HP tuners in mind though since I don't quite have the $$$ right now for another purchase like that.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts