3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I recently got some upgrades done to my 01' and while I was at it I wanted to add a performance shift button so it would work like the 98-99 models.

While doing the other work I ran a wire from the PCM C2(Clear) connector pin 21, referencing the wiring diagram from my 99 Grand Prix GM service manual. I ran the wire to a switch connected to ground. I wanted to get it working before wiring the dash lamp.

In the info I found online mentioned the option has to be enabled in the PCM, changing the binary bit from 0 to 1. But I don't see any options for this in HPT.

I also engaged ZZP for remote tuning and asked them to enable the perf. shift option as it states they can on their site. When I got my first file update, they stated the perf. shift option was enabled. But using HPT i never seen it shown as enabled (I added the channel to monitor). Then I also used my Tech 2 scanner to monitor it in the trans data (had to choose 99 year to see it) but it never shows enabled.

I tested the switch when I wired it and again after. I have ignition voltage across the switch with the switch open and 0 volts closed as expected.

I asked ZZP about this when I emailed my first scans and their response sounded like that since the perf mode tables were modified that it was enabled, and I may have not wired it correctly. But did not mention anything about an overall enable switch/setting in the PCM

I don't have access to DHP, but I have downloaded a few bin files and opened them with Tiny Tuner and noted the setting there; {Transmission>Shift Switch>Shift Switch Type}, set to 0 on 00 up models and set to 1 on 99 model files.

So... does anyone have first hand experience with this or any advice on how I can pull my file as a bin so that I could edit it in Tiny Tuner then upload it?

·
Administrator
1,396 Posts
Answer you kinda want: find a local guy with DHP to be able to mod that specific thing. If TT doesn't open .hpt files (haven't used it in a while), then you can also try emailing to someone with both software sets to get it tweaked. If I got my DHP going on my current laptop, I'd already have offered, but it's not.

Real answer: performance shift is a gimmick feature, and your transmission should be tuned in the normal mode to perform optimally, anyway (I used to copy my settings to both sets of tables in my '98, in case the button was clicked off on accident, effectively nullifying it). Firm shifts under boost and moderate shifts when cruising... It's why there's a whole range of conditions in the table for each gear change.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, no one around me with DHP etc. I know I could just adjust both normal and perf tables to adjust. But I like the option to manually select as I have them in my 98 & 99 GTPs; so for me it's not a "gimmick feature". I like to use the softer shift points for normal driving\cruising around that makes up 70-80 % of the time, then be able to switch them for the other times on demand. It's a feature I like that's why I was willing to put in the effort to add it. Modern performance cars are still doing this with different driving modes that changes trans. shift settings as well.

And as you mentioned accidentally clicking it off. That's the only thing I don't like on the factory button location. It was way to easy to turn on and off while driving as it was located, for me anyway. On my 01 I've mounted the switch next to the heated seat switch for that very reason.

I've been wondering if any of the free LS software may pull a bin file from my PCM that I could edit with Tiny Tuner. If so, I'll try to write to a core to see if it works, I don't want to brick my HPT licensed PCM.

·
Administrator
1,396 Posts
Yes, newer cars have other modes, but those impact more than shift pressure. Timing tables, shifts, steering assists, suspension settings, throttle limits, air-fuel ratios, and so on are impacted when going into those modes on modern vehicles.

Your desired results are simply available by adjusting the higher end of the tables to be more aggressive, while leaving the lower end alone. That's exactly why it's a table. You're chasing a convoluted solution to a non-issue due to sunk cost. Take this time to get more into the nuances if tuning to gain some experience improving the efficiency and performance of your car, and possibly toss a wideband in the mix to really benefit from having HPT.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts