3800Pro Forums banner

adding a LS1 tb now or later

3K views 26 replies 11 participants last post by  spd98 
#1 ·
I recently got a 2000 gtp after having a gt and i am ready to go really fast but need direction. I was wondering if i got a LS1 tb early bofore anyother mods would this benfit or should i wait till later? Any advice is welcome in the making of a homedepot special fwi too. :cool:

#2 ·
Jack, Definetly wait until later. The LS1 MAF adds some more advanced variables into the equation that you really don't need to concern yourself with this early into the game.

If you have an LS1 MAF, by all means hold onto it as it will come in handy down the road when you're a little more modded.

Some great things for you to look into would be the following:

3.4" pulley (Will add about 3-4lbs of boost)
Autolite 104 Spark Plugs (Cooler plug but make sure you get platinums)
180 Degree thermostat (Cooler engine less apt to knock)

Additional items you can get that will help are:

U Bend Delete (Follow the exhaust form your downpipe and you'll understand)
Some form of aftermarket intake (SLP, FWI, Wizair, Thrasher, etc)

Good luck. The car becomes quite addictive quite fast. :)

#4 ·
Definetly hold off on the LS1TB. Look at my sig. I just added one 2 weeks ago!

Start small and work your way up to the big mods. Mod smart though. A scantool is definetly a must!

#6 ·
dayday said:
Why would he want platinum?

No one I have talked to has recommended platinum after modding.
The coppers are fine, but they will foul out much quicker than the platinums, every 10,000 miles or so.

You can still get the platinums in colder plugs. I think few realise this and that might be why they recomend the coppers.

#10 ·
Rogue said:
When most people get an LS1/N* TB doesnt it come with the MAF? Would this then be a replacement MAF for a malfunctioning original in an LS1/N* TB?
Todd yes the LS1 kit that ZZP sells does come with a new MAF. Some called it the mystery MAF cause no one is sure where it comes from. Also the one that Intense is selling is a SLP maf and that is a replacement or upgrade from the one that comes with the LS1 kit. Does that answer your questions?

#12 ·
What are the 2 options that do and which ones does not? Or do you mean the kit of ZZP site says LS6 MAF and then their new GM maf? They dont say if that is an LS1 or an LS6 maf.

#14 ·
Looks like the adapter plate is set up to run NO2 or Water/alky injection?

#16 ·
Merc said:
What are the 2 options that do and which ones does not? Or do you mean the kit of ZZP site says LS6 MAF and then their new GM maf? They dont say if that is an LS1 or an LS6 maf.
It isn't an LS1 MAF, those MAF's have 3 parts to them. It isn't a Z06 MAF either because those don't have the screens in them ;) It is a generic MAF, which we call the LS6 but it did come standard on many cars. Why it is called a "mystery" MAF is beyond me, the main differences in the MAF tables are attributed to the different intake setups on the different vehicles that MAF is used on. I am not knocking the SLP MAF because that is the MAF we originally were going to use, over a year ago, with our N* kits but price alone kept it from being included in our kits.

#17 ·
I think the dubed "mystery"maf is just what you said, its a generic maf and that refers the one that the LS1 kit originally comes with, not the new GM one. Though i do not kwno what that one is either. Its just labeled as a GM maf.

Yes the SLP maf is pricy, but very nice.

#18 ·
The LS1 kit that I purchased had the "Mystery Maf" in it. I have been around and around about this MAF and I believe now it was the cause of a lot of problems for me. HOWEVER, with that said, I think it is only a part of a problem.

The PCM that you purchase must know what MAF tables to use for a certain MAF.

I have an INTENSE ST3 setup, I was using the "Mystery MAF" at first, and couldn't get the right #'s to get it to idle/cruise/WOT correctly. Now that could be my fault or it could be that Intense wasn't exactly sure on the MAF. HOWEVER, INTENSE now has the SLP MAF, which is on my car now. I can say that the car has never idled/Cruised/WOT'd better since I purchased all the upgrades. The AFC is able to control the MAF circuit quite a bit better and tuning has been a lot easier to do. I can't wait to get HP Tuners to really get into the finer points of tuning.

I wouldn't do a TB upgrade until you have all the supporting mods to go with it. Just my .02

#24 ·
The big GM motor (late) truck MAF and the LS6 are identical, the "tuned" units are usually done with a different resistor to lower or raise the voltage to the "hot" wire in the MAF. The standard LS1 MAF is used in dozens of different GM engines from 4.3L V6's to 6.6L V8's. All of the MAF's will work on any of the engines, but some are easier to tune due to a better signal. One of the biggest improvements on any L67 engine is to ditch the standard TB mounted MAF, and swap in a outboard one. Way easier to tune, and have a higher availible Hz ceiling.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.