3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a friend of mine claims that nitrous actually eats away at pistons over time, ive never heard of this, does he have any truth to that or is he puffin smoke up my ass?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
784 Posts
If your running lean nitrous can cause major piston damage. But, to my knowledge, nitrous in itself will cause no harm to pistons.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i know if its not tuned right it will hurt pistons rods etc, but he claimed nitrous alone will eat away the hyperuetectic pistons
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i know if it detonates youll bust a piston
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
dougsgtp said:
i know if it detonates youll bust a piston

...that and/or start taking chunks/chipps out of it. You have to make sure your not running lean (lack of fuel) with nitrous. ka-BOOM get the idea? Better to run rich than lean...but if at all possible you want to be in the happy middle. Run 1 step colder plugs, gap them at 0.035" and make sure your nitrous system is hooked up correctly and you should be good to go.


malice10985- your pictures are nice. Your oil pick up tube is different than mine. I have a metal screen, looks like you have a hub cap. What years that engine or pick up tube anyway? Never new they changed these, doubt there were any problems to them doing so, just time for a change I suspose.

~Farnsworth~
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
dougsgtp said:
i know if its not tuned right it will hurt pistons rods etc, but he claimed nitrous alone will eat away the hyperuetectic pistons

He is wrong. If that was the case think what it would do to your lungs as a kid at the dentist office..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
GR8racingfool said:
...that and/or start taking chunks/chipps out of it. You have to make sure your not running lean (lack of fuel) with nitrous. ka-BOOM get the idea? Better to run rich than lean...but if at all possible you want to be in the happy middle. Run 1 step colder plugs, gap them at 0.035" and make sure your nitrous system is hooked up correctly and you should be good to go.


malice10985- your pictures are nice. Your oil pick up tube is different than mine. I have a metal screen, looks like you have a hub cap. What years that engine or pick up tube anyway? Never new they changed these, doubt there were any problems to them doing so, just time for a change I suspose.

~Farnsworth~

I know all of what you posted, when he told me it physically ate away at pistons I had to take a step back for a second
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
dougsgtp said:
i know if its not tuned right it will hurt pistons rods etc, but he claimed nitrous alone will eat away the hyperuetectic pistons
My nitrous manufacturer doesn't recommend hyperuetectic be used with gas at all as they are too brittle.
I don't think it will eat them away, just break them.... ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sleeper said:
My nitrous manufacturer doesn't recommend hyperuetectic be used with gas at all as they are too brittle.
I don't think it will eat them away, just break them.... ;)
if you tune it right it wont make a difference, forged just gives you more chances if you make a booboo
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top