3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced the ignition lock cylinder for my 99 Regal. The job went relatively smoothly except now I have a problem with the security light. When I start the car, the light goes out. Once the car reaches exactly 5 mph, the light comes on and doesn't go out again until I shut off the car. I don't have any issues cranking the engine, the engine doesn't stall or any of that stuff people sometimes run into with a funky security light. I'm just at a loss as to the correlation between the light coming on and a speed of exactly 5 mph. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
885 Posts
You probably need to have the security system be matched to the ignition switch, since the PassKey uses that in Regals. The system probably just has 5mph as the set point for triggering the warning. Larger issue is making it right so your car doesn't decide to not let you use it at some point.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You probably need to have the security system be matched to the ignition switch, since the PassKey uses that in Regals. The system probably just has 5mph as the set point for triggering the warning. Larger issue is making it right so your car doesn't decide to not let you use it at some point.
Thanks for your input. I would like to add that I did have a proper ignition key made for the new lock cylinder. I had to have the original key tested for the correct VATS number and the new key was cut to the pattern designated for the new lock cylinder. I didn't know that the anti-theft system would have to be matched to the new aftermarket lock cylinder, as the key being used is the correct resistance key. I just made a couple trips to town and sometimes the security light would come on, sometimes it would stay off entirely.

·
Super Moderator
885 Posts
Ya, not sure on that. If I ever have an issue with my Buick's security stuff, I'll probably pull the drivetrain for a different chassis and light a match to the rest (I only bought it for the mods I installed back in '09, anyway).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts