3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok.. everything stock, but, using Bendix brakes. Only reason for this is because a guy that used to work on these cars said that they are really good.

Problem... squeak started a couple weeks ago. Logic would say it is the brakes needing to be changed.. except.. the pads weren't worn down at all. Not glassy or anything. Went ahead and put new pads on anyway. Still squeaking!!!! Note: this is under light braking... not heavy.

Anyone else run into this problem? Did you change out your pads, lines, rotors, calipers, etc.

Thanks

John

·
Registered
38 Posts
John,
I just purchased a 98 GTP, and the first problem I fixed (that day) was brake squeaking. Mine had a small noise in the front brakes, and a slightly louder noise in the rear. Both ended up being simple, free fixes.
Front - I removed the front wheels, calipers, and pads. I found that the pad hardware was bent slightly and rubbing on the rotor. Reinstalled them, and went for a test drive. There was still a very slight noise. Re-removed the fronts, cleaned all surfaces of the caliper and caliper mounting bracket, applied de-squeak to back of both pads, cleaned / lubed caliper pins, reinstalled, and fronts have been quiet since.
Rear - hardware was fine. Again, a thorough cleaning, lubing, and de-squeak being applied to pads cured the rear noise.
Semi-metallic pads have been known to be tough to keep quiet, but I think your next step should be to clean / lube everything and apply de-squeak.
Good luck

·
Registered
38 Posts
Any parts store will stock it.
I prefer the bright orange type (forget brand) that NAPA sells in a small cylindrical tube. It's thicker than most, and lasts longer.

-Vince

·
Registered
134 Posts
My '97 did it when I first got it back in 2001.

You might look at your brake pad guides, front and rear ones. Those are the thin stamped steel pieces that hold the brake pads snug. Sometimes they can get hot and change angles and a little can rub on the rotor. Mine was doing it breaking or driving. Replaced the rotors, and pads on the front and it still did it...asked around, and somebody told me to check those, and thats what it was. Took them out, strightened them with a pair of pliers, reinstalled, and they were great till the F-Body brake upgrade.

~Farnsworth~

1 - 5 of 5 Posts