3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up this Regal GS for $500 with a few issues to work out. I have one of those bluetooth ODBII scanner thingies and it works pretty good. I use the Torque program (paid version) and it gives me the codes of Bad MAF something or other and cylinder 4 misfire. Si I tried getting a MAF from a regular 3800 series II by looking at the top of it looks the same and has the same plugin, but sadly they are not the same MAF. They have a different shape to the section where the sensor wires are, so it don't fit... lol I guess I have to get a Supercharged specific MAF correct? While I am doing the MAF, would it be wise to pick up a MAF from another car? I would guess by doing that I would have to get some sort of tuning reprogram or translator to work right... I don't know if I am gonna do that yet. Just need a working MAF. They local Lordco parts store can get me a remanufactured MAF for it for $100 + $90 core charge. I didn't really want a remanufactured one or anything else but a genuine OEM unit, but they are pricey from what I gather. I was going to look for one from a wrecked car at pick n pull but no S/C cars in the lot.

What are the thoughts of the actual remanufactured ones? Yay or no??

What are my options? Should I go for the reman? or a wrecker unit pull? Or go with ...??

Also doing some vacuum lines. Just replaced a bunch of them and the car is running better, but I still have a bit of work to do. Also got some spark plug wires and going to do the plugs on it shortly. I need to track down the misfire. Unless its a problem with a fuel injector. I was hoping to get a new MAF first and see how that helps.

I will Keep updates on the progress. Any help here would be great. I plan on being an active member here and have a bunch of cars that I play with - '86 Grand National, 89 Reatta, 90 Olds Cutlass Calais International HO Quad4 5sp, 2010 Challenger v6... so ya. That's a couple listed in my stable.

Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Replaced the spark plug wires and that solved the stumbling and misfiring problems that I was having. Runs like a top now, however I am still having hesitation and a little bit of general goofiness all around probably due to bad MAF sensor. That's on the agenda along with spark plugs too. I didn't change them because, I just plain didn't have any and it looks like a real peach trying to get the driver's side back one out lol... Any helpful tips there? That's next, but at least the car runs well now and doesn't sound like it's running on 5 cylinders...

·
Registered
941 Posts
So I picked up this Regal GS for $500 with a few issues to work out. I have one of those bluetooth ODBII scanner thingies and it works pretty good. I use the Torque program (paid version) and it gives me the codes of Bad MAF something or other and cylinder 4 misfire. Si I tried getting a MAF from a regular 3800 series II by looking at the top of it looks the same and has the same plugin, but sadly they are not the same MAF. They have a different shape to the section where the sensor wires are, so it don't fit... lol I guess I have to get a Supercharged specific MAF correct? While I am doing the MAF, would it be wise to pick up a MAF from another car? I would guess by doing that I would have to get some sort of tuning reprogram or translator to work right... I don't know if I am gonna do that yet. Just need a working MAF. They local Lordco parts store can get me a remanufactured MAF for it for $100 + $90 core charge. I didn't really want a remanufactured one or anything else but a genuine OEM unit, but they are pricey from what I gather. I was going to look for one from a wrecked car at pick n pull but no S/C cars in the lot.

What are the thoughts of the actual remanufactured ones? Yay or no??

What are my options? Should I go for the reman? or a wrecker unit pull? Or go with ...??

Also doing some vacuum lines. Just replaced a bunch of them and the car is running better, but I still have a bit of work to do. Also got some spark plug wires and going to do the plugs on it shortly. I need to track down the misfire. Unless its a problem with a fuel injector. I was hoping to get a new MAF first and see how that helps.

I will Keep updates on the progress. Any help here would be great. I plan on being an active member here and have a bunch of cars that I play with - '86 Grand National, 89 Reatta, 90 Olds Cutlass Calais International HO Quad4 5sp, 2010 Challenger v6... so ya. That's a couple listed in my stable.

Thanks
Chris
I would recomend buying a new MAF over a reman! To save some $, go to DORMAN PRODUCTS. They will have better pricing than OEM and their products are at least as good as oem(if not better) and a better price to boot! Over the years at our shop in Minnesota, we have been using this brand with very good success...... Jake(mr goodwrench)

PS, they have lots of oem replacement parts also with the same quality as oem....if not better!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Replaced the spark plug wires and that solved the stumbling and misfiring problems that I was having. Runs like a top now, however I am still having hesitation and a little bit of general goofiness all around probably due to bad MAF sensor. That's on the agenda along with spark plugs too. I didn't change them because, I just plain didn't have any and it looks like a real peach trying to get the driver's side back one out lol... Any helpful tips there? That's next, but at least the car runs well now and doesn't sound like it's running on 5 cylinders...
Don't rule out Ebay! I have had very good luck with used MAFs from Ebay. I had a P0102 code a few years ago and picked up a brand new Delphi MAF from a local parts wholesaler for $120 and still had the code. I went to Ebay and got a used MAF for about $25 from a junkyard in Oregon. I have purchased other parts from this same junkyard and was very satisfied with the quality. As far as the configuration of the MAF housing they changed in 2000 to a much larger housing which will not fit pre-2000 models. If you decide to go to Amazon instead you can get a brand new Hitachi for less than $100. If you look at the side of your throttle body you should see HITACHI stamped on it. They are the OEM . I have a 1998 Olds 88 and a 2001 Buck Lesabre Limited. The MAF from my 1998 will fit in my 2001 but not vice versa.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I actually got a good used MAF from pick n pull. Car works great now. Apparently the 3800 SC MAF's are the same as the NA ones. Plus they had a 98 LSS SC on the lot that I missed that I grabbed the MAF from. So I got pretty much all the gremlins worked out on the drivetrain, now onto the malfunctioning heater blend door actuator thingy...I am gonna write a separate thread for that.
Thanks for the suggestions!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I actually got a good used MAF from pick n pull. Car works great now. Apparently the 3800 SC MAF's are the same as the NA ones. Plus they had a 98 LSS SC on the lot that I missed that I grabbed the MAF from. So I got pretty much all the gremlins worked out on the drivetrain, now onto the malfunctioning heater blend door actuator thingy...I am gonna write a separate thread for that.
Thanks for the suggestions!
I had a problem with my heat in my 1997 Olds 88. I dropped the glove compartment and noticed the actuator rod from the blend door motor would move a little bit when I turned the temperature dial so I reached in and helped it along to the full heat setting. Get a good flashlight and take a look in there. You might get lucky like I did.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I fixed the heater blend actuator. I got one out of a wrecked car and it wasn't quite the same. Mine had a cracked gear in it so I just took the same gear out of the new one (internals were similar) and replaced it in the housing of the old one and put it back into service. Works so far so good... Wasn't too difficult.

Reactions: Mad_Coachman

·
Registered
4 Posts
I fixed the heater blend actuator. I got one out of a wrecked car and it wasn't quite the same. Mine had a cracked gear in it so I just took the same gear out of the new one (internals were similar) and replaced it in the housing of the old one and put it back into service. Works so far so good... Wasn't too difficult.
Here on Long Island,NY we don't have any pick and pull junkyards. If we did I would probably be there quite often.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts