3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've had this problem since 2015 when I picked up this 98 Buick GS and it's tormented me ever since. Hope you can help.
I get a multiple clunk (not exactly a rattle) from usually one side then the other in the front end the first time the car rolls that day. It doesn't do it again till the next morning. It seems unaffected by my foot on the brake or the steering wheel, and not affected by the temperature or weather outside. Since I have been trying to breath youth back into this 180K Buick anyway, I've done a lot to try to troubleshoot, but nothing has worked so far, including:
new brakes (including flush of fluid)
new control arms, bushings, ball joints
new strut assemblies all around
new sway bar bushings
new engine and trany mounts
rebuilt transmission (shop also checked CV joints and bearings)
rotated tires
alignment

Even though it has always steered and stopped just fine, I think I am left with anti-lock brakes or power steering??? The noise doesn't coincide directly with either but I'm sure that doesn't rule them out. Any ideas?

·
Administrator
1,036 Posts
Possibly the steering column? I'm about to inject fresh grease in my 2006 GP because of that issue. Not sure if the earlier versions also had that known clunk as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks dezldave. That, I did not think of. You planning on using one of those needle attachments on a hand held grease gun? I will look into it. I'd love to hear how that works out for you as well.

·
Administrator
1,036 Posts
I got the GM syringe kit from eBay or Amazon last month. P/N 26098237 ~$10-15 when you look hard, and comes with an instruction page, but you can also find a few write-ups from GXP and Impala guys thru Google, referencing "steering clunk" or the part number, etc.

I've heard it can re-emerge after a year or so, but I'm not too concerned about it beyond the annoyance, as long as it's not a rack issue.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The steering shaft clunk has been an issue for a long time on the w-body cars. GM stopped selling that steering shaft lube kit. They actually make you buy a new shaft now, but you may still find the kit if you search around

1 - 5 of 5 Posts