3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone and thank you for your time. I recenlty Repo-ed a car from an ex-girlfreind that was in my name and I never recieved one payment too (never buy a woman a car lesson learned the hard way) But when i repoed it I called her up doing normal conversation(never stating my intentions) she brought up the car had been over heating and she had left it on the side of the road her freind thought it could have been the water pump going out. But she also stated the engine still ran at that point. I came and repoed the car (with out keys) by prying a door handle off (needed to be replaced anyways) and loaded it using a come along to a trailor. I got home went to a gm dealer had keys made. However this is where my real problem begins. The engine cranks (sounds normal too) and I have already verified its getting fuel (by detachting a fuel line and checking for spray, plus spraying starter fluid into the intake and never received fire) I've been getting a whole bunch of info on what people think the problem can be. All from security cods being thrown from my forcible entry all the way to warped valves and bad coil packs, cencors. Heres a little more back ground the engine went out on her several months ago and she paid to replace it. It has a brand new crate 3800 series II with less than 3000 miles on it along with a new alternator, water pump, starter, and tranny. once i popped the radiator there was absolutely no fluid in it, the resivior was holding straight water (with leaves and crud at the bottom of it ???) the car also today gave a slight hint of wanting to crank after i spontaniously tried to give it a crank but never anything again. also the temperature light is on so im sure she burnt that censor off. but to my knowledge that shouldnt cause the engine to have no fire. I've also checked every fuse the car has to offer just to be double sure. I was thinking about renting a code reader and a 12v tester to test the power to the coil packs, after I check the spark plugs to see if there throwing any sparks. Any other ideas on what I should check?

·
Registered
22 Posts
id start by checking the crank and cam sensors to see if there working properly. if your not getting a signal from the cam it wont start(atleast it didnt on my car). if your not getting signal from the cam its probably going to be the sensor or the inturpter magnet is gone(thats what it was on mine). i would start there because you dont want to start shoveling money when you dont have to. i went through a new ecm, coil pack, ignition module, spark control module, crank and came sensor. parts totaling close to 600$ when the part i needed was like 8.99

·
Registered
230 Posts
with only 3000 miles on the motor, i cant imagine the gaskets would be bad... but overheating on a 3800, the intake manifold gaskets are usually the first thing to check. if the coolant ports are leaking, they could flood the cylinders and hydrolock them... you can try removing the spark plugs and turning over the motor to expel any coolant.

Hydrolocked Engine Turning Over Without Spark Plugs - YouTube

maybe you were misguided as to what motor went into the car, or someone effed up the gasket install. look under the lim, if they are the new aluminum gaskets you should see silver. if its the old nylon gasket, youll see black.

https://www.google.com/search?q=380...orswap.org%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ft%3D1396;559;367

if they were the nylon gaskets, the bolts could have been overtorqued, cracking the gaskets.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts