3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all, I hope someone can help me with my 96 Lesabre. My wife was driving home and noticed a loss of power, the fuel pressure regulator went and filled the throttle body with fuel. She lost a 1/4 tank in a few miles and by the time she got home, the vacuum line came off the regulator and fuel was shooting out all over the intake. There was a trail of fuel behind her as well as being all over the intake. The car ran right up to when she pulled in the driveway; there was a loud noise like a backfire and a cloud of white smoke under the car like a smoke machine was on. Unfortunately, she has no sense of smell and was unaware of the leak.

So I replaced the regulator with an AC Delco and now the car will not run. It will start and if you pump the gas it will surge, make some popping noise and then stall. The exhaust smoke is black. My first thought was the cat got clogged with all the fuel so I removed the pipe that connects the two exhaust manifolds and no change in the engine. It's running like the timing is way off. I'm wondering if the backfire in the driveway caused another issue. I scanned for codes and got P0122 & P1122. Do you think the backfire could have caused the timing chain to jump a few teeth? Any help will be gratefuly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
425 Posts
Those codes are saying it's not happy with the TPS sensor signal. The 3800 timing chain isn't prone to jumping teeth. I would certainly hunt for vacuum lines being cracked or blown off, and be ready to find out the upper intake possibly cracked if the backfire was bad enough. They're cheap to replace via a junkyard or eBay for a used one, and get a fresh gasket set.

I'd get a can on MAF cleaner spray (throttle body cleaner or QD electronic cleaner can all work the same, for this purpose), and clean the TB, MAF, IAC and also check your sensor connections there. The fuel may have gotten into the connectors and caused bad readings, so dielectric grease may help get them healthy, again.

Also, I would change plugs, since that can be something under $20 for a basic set. All-in-all, you may get out of it for under $100 if it's one of these "simpler" items, but you'll have to go through the troubleshooting and check off things in a logical way without jumping into some crazy overhaul unnecessarily.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, bro I just noticed a large crack on the UP by the MAP sensor. I'm going to swap it out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts