3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! I hopeone of you might be able to help. I am at my wits end here. My 95 has been slowly having the typical driveability issues and finally had a no start issue. Would crank, just no spark. To make this easier I will list all I have replaced: ICM, all coils, plugs and wires, crank sensor, cam sensor, MAF, Cleaned all grounds, ECM, about ready to change fuel filter. The car does run now, however lacks power and runs rough. The one piece that made the car finally begin to fire again was the ICM. My biggest problem is this, I cant read any fault codes. First tried the obd2 reader from a friend. It would read up to a certain point then say "cannot communicate with ECM". Says this everytime I tried it even after replacing ECM. Then I discovered the whole 95 issue with obd1 and obd2. (some I think have nicknamed it the obd 1.5 problem). So im stuck. I bought a cable that would allow me to hook my obd1 reader to the 16 pin connector in the car (which seemed like the answer) and it doesnt flash the check engine light at all. Tried the paper clip to no avail. Not sure yet whether Iactually have a obd1 or 2. And before you say that if it has a OBD2 connector then it ust be OBD2....in 95 buick anyway that isnt always true. In 95 appearently the OBD2 system was pulled from production however they left the OBD2 16 pin connector in the vehicle, but ended up using OBD1 system. (At least thats what I am thinking after reading posts for the last two weeks). My 16 pin connector under the dash has pin connectors in the follwing places: 4,5,8,9,14,16.
Anyone have any ideas of how I can read the codes in this car. It has a "check engine" light on at all times now. Thanks in advance for any help you may have! I am also about ready to check/replace the co2 sensors and ohm the injectors to eliminate them.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Try going to Alldata. You may find your configuration there.

We had problems with our 95 Transport 3.8L over the years. Good ole' OBD 1.5

We had that car for 20 years, and I don't ever remember the CEL coming on. Of course there were codes. I bought a Actron scanner for it. Now the van has been towed away because the sub frame rusted out. Van body will still look nice milleniums after I am dead...best f luck with now old technology..aggravating

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks alot! When I get done with alldata I will post what I find. And your right...the vehicle itself is great and normally reliable but the electrical and diagnosis issues at times can make a guy crazy. Thanks again!

·
Registered
849 Posts
I just checked my alldata at the shop and it says the 12pin diagnostic connector will flash codes in the insturment panel. The 16 pin diagnostic connector will not. A scan tool is required. There are plenty of auto parts stores that have current code readers that you might try. BUT, I will tell you I have seen many customers come in with a list of codes/descriptions that are not accurate. Good luck with that...... Jake

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again gtx and jake. I am assuming that is why my friends 16 pin obd2 reader would only scan so far before saying it can't communicate with ECM. So I guess I'm back to just common sense and old school diagnosis. Hopefully I'm getting close. I'll let ya know what I finally find.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts