3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1992 oldsmobile 98 touring sedan, S/C L67. ok,
the car has a rough idle and misses constantly. it usually runs fine for normal driving, but misses terribly on hard pulls when the engine is warmed up. sometimes it will be missing very bad while driving, so i will turn off the car, turn it right back on, and the miss becomes alot less apparent, but it gets worse again a few seconds later after driving a little more. other times, it just floods out, or it will not increase in rpms, like, i can be in park, push the pedal a tenth of the way down and get the rpms to about 3-4k, and then floor it and the rpms drop to 2k, and the motor sounds like its struggling, the coilpack also ticks really hard when this happens. when it is acting this way, it is undrivable, because it floods and kills constantly, or i cant get going faster than 15-20mph. other times while driving, i floor it and there will be a strong pull, then it stops accelerating, then pulls again, and stops again, over and over. it is temperature related, the hotter the engine gets, the worse the miss gets, and it has been getting worse and worse over time. any ideas or comments would be very appreciated, thanks.

·
Proud Supporter of 3800PRO
1,482 Posts
What's the two-digit code your getting from the PCM? I know OBD I can be like a domino effect with DTC's but still curious.

·
1,482 Posts
Don't worry about that. All you need to do is find the OBD I port and have a GM code key or heck a paper clip will do.

·
1,482 Posts
Okay I could really give you an in-depth explanation with alot of words but I want to make it simple and understandable for you. I just found a site that will explain the process out for you with pic's and code definitions. Please if there's anything that you don't understand about the directions or so forth please don't hesitate to ask me what that means as I would like to get you up and rolling again. Here is the site check engine light codes . I know it sounds hokey but the info looks pretty good to this Master Tech and gives you a good idea of what your looking for with the OBD I Port (GM ALDL). When you get there click on the sectiobn for '83-'95 GM Vehicles. :8

·
Registered
314 Posts
good call eric, good call

·
Registered
156 Posts
It sounds like a fuel or spark problem. Probably spark.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts