3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After letting vehicle sit for months there is water in crankcase and oil in radiator. I started it on a hot day and it is quite the fog machine. Fog smells like antifreeze, of course.

Could be head gasket, intake manifold gasket, or?

Does '88 Olds circulate coolant through the throttle body or just the manifold?

Are the intake gaskets more (or less) reliable than the head gasket?

This is a one-piece aluminum manifold, not the dreaded plastic upper design, but I'm wondering if this vintage of 3.8 is notorious for a particular leak location.

When I started the car the first time, I let it run for 15 minutes and the fog kept coming. When I started it again hours later the exhaust was invisible. So the leak sealed or is so slow that the accumulated water evaporated and will take more than hours to replenish. Does this point to manifold as more probable source of leak?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Now that I think of it. If there is oil in the radiator the manifold gaskets shouldn't be involved. Must be a head gasket or crack. These heads prone to crack? I'm thinking about re-torquing the head. Maybe I'll get lucky.

·
Super Moderator
330 Posts
If those manifolds are anything like Series 2/3's, there'a also coolant passages in them that go all the way to the TB. I'd stop running it immediately with those fluid indications, and prepare to go all the way to replacing head & intake gaskets to ensure you've done all you can to inspect/repair it, otherwise you're leaving a big question mark as you try it again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts