3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stupid questions:

I have the Intense MPS on my 1998 L67, when we installed it we put the hub flush with the shaft, the 2 extra rib appears to be on the exterior side.

I saw someone else with a gen 1 MPS (probably the ZZP one) and he has one extra rib on each side of the belt.

Now I saw one on a thread here (a 2004 engine in a Fiero) that has the 2 extra rib on the interior (I don't know wich brand it is though).

So, what way is correct? Does it depend of the manufacturer?

How can we upgrade the whole system to 8 rib if every brand are set differently?

·
Registered
713 Posts
many people have them in different places, ideally there should be two empty ribs on the outide. but it all depends on how far in your hub is, you just have to put the belt on in any way that it is straight.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool, I guess mine is OK so!

I was wondering because if someone want to upgrade to the 8 rib belt, it should fit with the other larger idler pulley .

And also you can't modify the harmonic balancer to accept every position I mentionned above...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same MPS. The puller I used for install planted the hub flush with the SC shaft. In this position, the two extra ribs were on the outside (fenderwell). In this position, the belt was perfectly aligned.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Different pulley systems sometimes differ on where the xtra ribs are. Just look at your belt and make sure it's strait.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
spd98 said:
Different pulley systems sometimes differ on where the xtra ribs are. Just look at your belt and make sure it's strait.
That's what I wanted to say, if different pulley systems differ on where the xtra ribs are, how can someone upgrade the full system with the 8 rib belt? It makes no sense...

·
Registered
187 Posts
each vendore typically sells the pullies to match thier blower pullies. ZZP modifies stock while Intense sell's thier SFI dampener.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
BumpinGTP said:
many people have them in different places, ideally there should be two empty ribs on the outide. but it all depends on how far in your hub is, you just have to put the belt on in any way that it is straight.
I have heard differently Steve. If you have the Intense MPS you want the belt all the way to the inside, so you have 2 outter ribs open. If you have the ZZP MPS they you wnat the belt in the middle so you have 1 on the inside open and 1 on the outside open.

Easy fix is to just get an 8 rib belt :D

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, now I see! So the cheapest way to convert to 8 rib belt would be ZZP style:

ZZP MPS: 129$
ZZP 8 rib conversion pulleys: 89$
ZZP 8 rib crank pulley conversion: 125$ (or 200$ with reduced weight)
8 rib belt:???

Total: 343$ (418$)

Compared to Intense:

Intense MPS: 129.99$
Intense pulley spacer kit: 34.99$
Intense ATI SFI approved dampers:569.99$

Total:823.97$ :eek:

·
Registered
104 Posts
blackZ34 said:
Ok, now I see! So the cheapest way to convert to 8 rib belt would be ZZP style:

ZZP MPS: 129$
ZZP 8 rib crank pulley conversion: 125$ (or 200$ with reduced weight)

Total: 343$ (418$)

Compared to Intense:

Intense MPS: 129.99$
Intense pulley spacer kit: 34.99$
Intense ATI SFI approved dampers:569.99$

Total:823.97$ :eek:
Keep in mind the zzp crank pulley conversion is a stock crank pulley/dampner modified up into a 8 rib setup, the SFI dampner is the way to go, and zzp does sell the SFI dampner also. I have seen both, a budy who has the conversion and my SFI one I purchased from Intense (they deserve my money since they were the ones who had ATI bring this to the market) and by a huge margian the SFI one is a much higher quality piece. Also not to mention with the SFI dampner you can say goodbye to high HP breaking stock flexplates also.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
spd98 said:
Ditto your not comparing apples to apples there
Sorry but I think I am. If someone is having some belt slippage (sp?) then one solution is to upgrade to 8 rib belt, so I just compared what the price would be between 2 vendors.

I don't say the Intense way isn't good, it's probably the best way to go if your aiming for big HP or if you want to go farther, but if you just need a 8 rib belt to cure a problem then I don't think you would want to pay 500$ more so ZZP would be the best option for the money.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Your trying to compare a high performance part to a factory part that has 2 extra grooves cut into it. There is not a comparison between the two. Just as you cannot compare an mp-112 to an m90.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My original post was about 8 rib conversion, not about harmonic balancer.

I was trying to see why some vendors were using different offset on the SC pulley, I now have all the informations I wanted .

If you want to talk about crank pulley, start your own topic please. This one is about 8 rib conversion...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts