3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright calling all 3800 experts! I want to know the fastest yet most durable way to build a 600 hp 3800 SC engine for my Fiero. I'm gonna mate it with the 4t653hd transaxle. I've been following most of the 3800 SC threads here and there and the opinions are so scattered, but its always hilarious and entertaining to read the flame wars. I need some great input here so Dennis, Lloyde, Darth, FieroFlyer, Chris West, Archie, INTENSE, and dark horizon and anyone else that knows more on these engines please give me some ideas as to the best ways to accomplish my mission!

·
Super Moderator
883 Posts
That list of people is... hilarious, to say the least. Dealt with a couple of them in person, and you're not missing a ton by them no longer being active.

Bottom line, turbo and cam (there's a reason only 2-3 s/c builds, all by vendors/shops, have only scratched anywhere near even 500whp, even with nitrous). The rest is up to optimizing the setup around it as you get it going. Fuel system, transmission upgrades, valvetrain components, etc. are all on the menu for needing to be improved to support higher revving and boost.

It's not a secret recipe. Fire up the Paypal account or credit card and get to work. As with anything, it's cubic dollars beyond the basic level to make it right and last.

·
Registered
46 Posts
dezldave is right. If your looking to make that kind of power cam + turbo + credit card (along with supporting mods) are the way to go. Even a ported gen V m90 still has its limitations. IMO it would be more feasible to start with an L36 non-supercharged 3800 as your base for the setup. They are a dime a dozen in the scrap yard & it will save you from having to block off the supercharger.

As the old saying goes
Fast, Reliable, Cheap - pick two

·
Super Moderator
883 Posts
L26 intakes with HV insert, or F-body L36 with custom passenger-side routing, are proven methods that flow and look good, as well. Blocked M90's are okay, but you can test results in the differences for cheap, if you're interested.

The N/A block is good for getting to a quick 400 or so, but having a S/C block gives you the safety of lower compression to let the more efficient turbo do the work adding the higher power. (Edit: opposite of the logic when running a supercharger, using the higher N/A compression to reduce how much you have to spin the inefficient blower)

I've also switched to air-water intercooling from the traditional air-air to see if that adds any benefit, but haven't stressed it too hard, yet. Been able to run similar boost levels with both so far (~12-15psi on 93, ~25psi on race gas). I'll consider E85 full-time later, if I move back to a place that has more availability, and buy even bigger injectors/pump to utilize it. Octane is the only way you'll get up to those high power levels with a 3800, too.

·
Registered
95 Posts
According to what I have read the Eaton M90 superchargers can support a maximum of 400 HP on a built engine with porting, cam, small pulley, intercooler and headers. The turbo will get you much higher horsepower. Zoomers (ZZ Performance) 3800 Grad Prix ran 8's in the 1/4 mile with a built turbo engine and nitrous. While the 3800 is capable of making a lot of horsepower; reliability then becomes a concern in the high power levels.

·
Super Moderator
883 Posts
Minor correction: MattM has the black 8sec GP out of that shop, but he and Zoom run the operation together. Zoom's personal GP was the 1st FWD 3800 to hit 9's, using a twin-charged setup Matt helped build (primarily used turbo for power).

Zoom is supposed to have his GP back to M90 and stroker kit, and may get around 500whp when they're done, and that will be well beyond what a non-vendor M90 car will ever see. Only other big SC 3800 builds in that 500-ish realm have been JohnT with MP112/N2O, Ed Morad/Intense BadSSEi with a Kenne Bell, and JonBob/PRJ with a Whipple. All had many broken parts and vendor support back in the peak of this market ~15yrs ago when money was being dumped into 3800's to top the charts for marketing to us on ClubGP and here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts