3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, The above pulley has 2 shallow keyway slots. My stock dampener only has 1 deep slot. Has anyone run into this problem? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
875 Posts
From what I've heard, it'll work fine lined up with the correct keyway (compare alignment to timing notches on stock balancer).

I am probably going to buy one soon (RockAuto has best prices), regular 8-rib since it'll either go on a turbo setup or larger s/c already boosting more than necessary.

Let us know how it goes.

·
Super Moderator
875 Posts
Right, and the thinner keyway is aligned the same way as the stock one... Directly facing a timing notch on the inner ring, 90deg before the large notch (keyway at 12 'o clock in your 2nd picture of the Dayco).

The second keyway at 6 'o clock in your photo is probably for when someone machines a 2nd slot to share the stress of driving a s/c in very high hp applications. I've only seen 1,000+ hp setups on V8's utilize that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It slides on until it strikes the key. Is it possible the key is larger? Because the stock slot was deeper.

·
Super Moderator
875 Posts
You can measure it and compare:
Width of key vs. slot width
Distance from end of crank to key
Distance from end of balancer slot to inner face crank end presses

If it's not too different, the torquing of the crank bolt will press it in place on the tapered crank.

·
Super Moderator
875 Posts
By hand, it's only going to go so far on the tapered crank (edit: still same process but may not be tapered, can't recall), and the rest will be drawn in as the new bolt is torqued.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts