3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know much about the 3800 although I have two Buicks with these engines. except for a sensor and oil changes, I never needed to mess with them.
But I am exploring a new project of converting an MGB to 3800-power. I understand it is a relatively light engine. The only 3800s that I know are FWD and I need a RWD setup.

What cars employ the 3800 in a RWD setup?

I am also interested in suggestions as to what year I should buy (used). I do not want to modify the engine because I think the GM engineers have apparently done a good job and the increased power will be sufficient. I want the automatic, if it can be made to fit; so if I am wrong as to my assumption that the comparative size is equal of less than that of a T5 manual transmission, please point out my error.

Thank you,
Dieter Schmied

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Um, the Firebird, Camaro, or Buick GNs if you want an older 3.8.
Well the older the engine, the less expensive to buy, but implied in your answer is a warning. Can you elaborate?

Also, have you any comments on using an automatic transmission?

Don't assume any expertise on knowing what is out there. I actually have a 67 Firebird, but I thought the new ones went to FWD.

Dieter Schmied
Cincinnati

·
Registered
168 Posts
aussie commodores. you can pick up 4l60e transmissions cheap over there too and just get an aussie bellhousing
Why should he come there? Camaro and Firebird come with autos and 5speeds and are RWD. To the OP I am in cincy if you need some 3800 swap help.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Check your pms dude.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Dear god man don't google PMS. I talked to the OP, sounds like a cool project. Love to help if I can.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dear god man don't google PMS. I talked to the OP, sounds like a cool project. Love to help if I can.
Well I already did before I figured it out. But I learned something: "Premenstrual syndrome (PMS) is a group of symptoms linked to the menstrual cycle . PMS symptoms occur in the week or two weeks before your period ..."

Is that what I got to look forward to with a 3800?

·
Registered
68 Posts
yes but, it is worth it when its over trust me

1 - 13 of 13 Posts