·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 supercharged GTP
Stock Heads
Cam Comp High Energy GM38 264HR 15
Comp Springs #105 26915-12
Intense Push Rods 5/16 X .083 7.050 length (stock)

After an engine rebuild, a hydraulic lifter failed
Engine Tech L2148-4 lifter

I want to swap to either an LS-7 Lifter or something better.

What do you guys recommend?

·
Registered
932 Posts
Guess I've never heard of that brand of lifter..... However, on my 2003 GTP with XP cam and stock lifters, I've not had any problems. Now, in my case when I did some major machining done, I had my machine shop/ engine builders set up the installed valve height to ZERO LASH. It's been this way for several years now with no problems. About the only issue I've had (which I don't mind at all) is there is some lifter/rocker arm clatter. I am running SLP ROLLER ROCKERS which may be easier on the valve train. One other thing a guy an do for adjusting valve to rocker preload is to buy a set of rocker shims. Buy increasing or decreasing rocker height, you would increase or decrease preload. I have mine set right at zero preload. I suppose one could put a few 1000 th's of preload which can cut down on valve/lifter clatter.

If I were in your shoes, I would run a better set of rockers. I would also recommend setting the lifter preload looser. The two ways I'm aware of is like I had my heads/valve installed height set to zero lash OR, buy a set of good adjustable pushrods. Going that way, you should be able to adjust them for zero lash(when the valves are completely closed). The only side effect is there is some lifter/rocker clatter......similar to a mechanical lifter engine. And make sure you valve springs are good with NO VALVE SPRING COIL-BIND. That can damage the springs, rockers, and pushrods.

I've been running my GTP this way for several years now with ZERO ISSUES.......except for a little valve clatter. Compared to the NOISY DIAMOND pistons, it's nothing.

One last thing, run a top shelf motor oil. Now that I've tried different oils over the years, My choice is MOBILE 1. RUNS CLEAN an has excellent lubrication for internals. There are some VERY GOOD RACING OILS OUT THERE, but you most likely don't need any that extreme.

Best of luck to you..... Jake (mr goodwrench)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Engine Tech lifters were installed when the motor was rebuilt. I have been running a full size ZZP intercooler for 10 years. Originally had a S1X cam, Intense push rods and Harland Sharp roller rockers with stock lifters. The Engine Tech lifters installed in the rebuild---one failed after about 3000 miles. Just looking for suggestions for a better lifter. Mobil 1 is the only oil I have ever used.

·
Registered
932 Posts
If I were in your shoes, I would use COMP CAMS STAINLESS ROLLER ROCKERS if they make them for 3800's. Another good choice would be SPL ROLLER ROCKERS(I've had a set of these in my GTP for 10 years now with ZERO problems. Also as I mentioned previously, when installing rockers, shim them for less preload or get some adjustable pushrods(maybe check with comp cams to see what they have for adjustable push rods or the rocker shims.

The SLP roller rockers are aluminum.....they have worked well for me for a LONG TIME. On my drag race car and my son's drag racer, we have had good luck with COMP CAMS rockers (stainless roller rockers). Only bad part with these rockers is they are spendy.....But when you have lots of dollars invested in your ride, one would want it serve you well.

And don't forget to shim or adjust rocker arms........ if you need more info on that, get back to me on that procedure...... and the same process would be used with adjustable pushrods except you would not need to shim.....simply adjust the push rod length......one at a time at TDC for each cylinder.

This all sounds pretty complicated but it's relatively easy but a little time consuming.

Jake

·
Registered
932 Posts
I had another thought...... do not use that brand of lifters that you described that failed. When and if you get back into the repair, TAKE CLOSE LOOK AT THE CAM LOBES ( turn the engine over by had and watch all the lobes for any damage or scoring)..... if you see damaged cam lobes, it's got to go!!

Jake

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, on the 3800 you can't see the cam lobes unless you pull the cam---Bummer!!
But all the rollers on the lifters look fine!

·
Registered
932 Posts
As I mentioned, once the lifters are OUT, use a mechanics telescoping mirror and a light to look into the lifter holes and you can see the CAM LOBES and turn the engine over by hand to inspect each CAM LOBE. OR, do it the much harder way and pull the cam.......that is very time consuming....

Jake

PS, my initial reply was from a text message you sent. Apparently my message didn't get to you. Guess using the 3800 pro forum is the best way to communicate.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the recommendations. I am still considering either LS7, SLP, or Comp lifters. Just can't decided which.

My shift points are set at 6000 rpm, so I want some good quality lifters.

I checked the cam lobs, and they look brand new.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I've run Comp Cams lifters, camshafts, and valve train in a few different small blocks over the years and was very satisfied with the performance and longevity of their products.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I guess run what ever works for you.....comp cams is a good choice and the ls7's apparently are a good choice reading how many guys are doing that. So success is what you want and know to be a good choice. However, When I did a rebuild (new pistons DIAMOND and a COMP CAM (XP) after burning up a stock set from a failed OEM fuel pump.....I simply reused the stock OEM LIFTERS. That's been many years now and never seen any issues at all. And many times I've pushed my GTP to over 6500 RPM with no problems at all. Go figure..... On another note, when I rebuilt my engine(burned pistons) I used the oem lifters with ZERO problems. But during the rebuilding process (pistons), I had the valve stem height set up for zero clearance. This allowed me to run some high RPM with out valve float. If I had that all to over again, I probably would have installed ADJUSTABLE PUSHRODS. But setting the installed valve height worked out perfectly. I can push it to 6500 RPM plus with no issues. I do not do that a lot, just on occasion when I get SQUIRLEY or some smart as.. wants a go with me... and goes home with his tail between his legs. When I was running my Z28 at local tracks(434 small block) I did use A comp cam and lifters and jessel timing belt kit. That all worked excellent and reliable.

Bottom line is COMP CAMS STUFF IS VERY GOOD..... Jake

1 - 13 of 13 Posts