3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 3800 series 2 S/C out of a Pontiac Bonneville SSEI .going into my little brothers 97 lesabre. swap seems straight forward both 97 and H-body. i have the Z3 turbo kit, reconditioned heads 90# springs ,350 fuel pump ,60# injectors 1.9 rocker arms, shift kit and front powerlog,the kit requires i keep the rear manifold for the wastegate set up but the stock manifold is tiny and im assuming sucks. ZZP doesnt make a rear power log or any rear exaust pieces for the
H-body what should i do? leaving the block stock im thinking mid 400's to the wheels should be a reachable goal. has anybody done anything close to this? Im i missing something i dont see? Any feedback would be good all keep you guys updated on the build thank you

·
Administrator
1,402 Posts
The rear manifold in stock or Plog form isn't optimal for turbo on the crossover, but works. H-body offset downpipe outlet doesn't really matter when you're using the rear manifold outlet for wastegate perch, so swapping to a W-body style is feasible. The wastegate is just being dumped from there, and the turbo downpipe is now what you have to get routed through your firewall tunnel for the cat-back.

It looks like they squeezed just over 400 from their example set-up with a big cam and HV3, so I'd say that should be around where you may see. The Z3 isn't my favorite design, due to the routing path they could easily re-tool at the same fabrication costs, but it's their budget version of the Cartuning design.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok how would i switch to a w body rear manifold? And you think on a stock bottom end and mabey a couple extra pounds of boost would get me to mid 400's? And the only difference between the Z3 and the stattama kit is the cross over and a little bit bigger turbo plus the turbo log that i cant use thats why i got the z3 not to mention the 2000$+ price gap between them. For the same price of the stattama kit i bought the z3 kit, heads, fuel system, etc. Just couldn't justify the price of stattama kit considering what you get.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also what would i do about the suspension.tons of aftermarket stuff for the W-body but i only find oem suspension for the H-body .iv heard of guys using the zzp W-body lowering springs on the lesabres. And as for the shocks its all oem stuff as well id like to tighten up the front end any ideas? Thanks for the feed back

·
Administrator
1,402 Posts
In turbo configuration, the rear manifold doesn't care what chassis it's in. The rear outlet is offset differently to send the regular downpipe thru the firewall tunnel. When you go turbo, the rear manifold is now sending the flow up thru the crossover "inlet" to the turbo flange.

If you look at my photos of the Stattama kit mock-up below, you'll see how the "turbo rear Plog" eliminates the outlet (no longer cares if the outlet was an H or W placement). For the Z3 kit, that outlet is used for the wastegate to bleed off excess exhaust pressure to not spin the turbo too fast and control boost level. The wastegate is routed internally on the Stattama (and older Z7) turbo kits after bleeding pressure from the rear half of the crossover.

The actual downpipe now exits from the turbo exhaust outlet, and routes down the firewall tunnel. This may be the only interference spot you'll need to ensure is clear during install in an H-body, depending on how things go.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Bumper

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Electrical wiring

Benefit of the bigger kit is higher power potential, and a more deliberate routing of the turbo pipes. I'm sure you'll be happy with the basic kit, but if the bug catches you... Who knows.

For suspension, I've never messed with H's there. A few new posts here have been going into that, so hop over to those for more info.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks dave i see so i can order the zzp rear exaust manifold . i talked to 4 different people at zzp they all said it wouldn't bolt up. So just to be clear the exuast ports on the manifold arent off center the hole on it that connects to the old catback is right? Just my luck all out of stock wish i would of known this a month ago

·
Administrator
1,402 Posts
For the Z3, you need one with an outlet of some sort. The turbo version of the Plog won't have a place for the Z3 wastegate.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Every thing is still in piece's chilling in the garage. waiting on parts is a pain in my a**. Need to figure out how to upload these pics keep it updated. ZZP is all out of stock on the rear manifolds and dont wana have to put it in after the motor is already in the car. I did this on my 00 regal gs not fun. Had to rachet strap the motor forward lay on top if the supercharger super uncomfortable and worst of all the stupid little egr tube whatever it is didn't properly seat in the new rear manifold from zzp so the regal has a little exhaust leak there. In any case im stuck waiting and so bored the block is all cleaned up i gutted the supercharger im waiting on parts so i can put the engine together what else should i be doing? You seem to have quite the experience in this and i enjoy your input. I have the interior gutted down to the metal new carpet cool ssei stitched leather seats in great condition out of the donor car. The outside is getting sent to get fixed and painted after the motor and the tune is in and shes driving good but as for wheels and suspension i have more questions than answers

·
Administrator
1,402 Posts
You're on top of most things from the sounds of it. That all sounds like a boatload of work that may take the whole year to knock out.

For pics, I have luck using the image icon in this typing menu for in-line uploads for my phone or a site. Unless it gets mad about a high-res photo from my phone, things usually paste fine (which is why I like using it a lot for describing things).

For builds like this, you're honestly best to get your hands on tuning yourself (referencing the other post, but trying to consolidate the discussion here). I know it seems like a big thing, but if you want to be able to tackle any changes and really know the car, that's a crucial step. Plus, it builds your troubleshooting skills for any vehicle 10-fold. Getting on a dyno is usually the final step, anyway, since you have to crawl-walk-run (idle-cruise-boost) your way to a thorough tune that's comfortable.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ya im thinking have her ready for paint by this summer .i do all the work on it call in my mechanic buddy every now and again when i get stuck he helps alot. Lately its been waiting on parts from here and there carpet dash gasket sets things like that.
Fixture Composite material Automotive exterior Gas Automotive tire
Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire Automotive lighting
Gas Auto part Machine Metal Motor vehicle

When you say me tuning the car sounds like alot of work and things i dont know. Were would i get started ?looked up a few tuning discussions on it there from 04 any ideas?

·
Administrator
1,402 Posts
Honestly, even though ZZP can be a bit dry to interact with, their remote tuning option to get started seems like the best route right now. You'll get a baseline tune that should get you rolling, see what they request for data to monitor, and be able to compare files they send back and forth as you upload them yourself. This then provides the option to keep the hardware (laptop, HPT cable) to continue from there as you explore, from what i gather. Check out their YT video from 1-2yrs ago where Tim explains the process (~45yr old white guy with salt & pepper goatee).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got all the parts i was missing .guna start putting it back together. My goal is to have the motor and tranny in by the the end of January. Got some work ahead of me but super excited ready to see the end result all keep the photos coming.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Having a real "fun" time trying to remember how it all goes back together. So many new parts its a really over whelming feeling . Putting the new heads on the clean block then the rocker arms then the intake manifold and all the gaskets and o rings along the way. I make it sound like i have a plan and i do but I get stuck almost every 15min im no mechanic this is all new to me. I call my buddies but there all at work (Im on vacation still till monday)and i feel stupid asking em dum questions. i feel more than capable of doing it my self made it this far .just would feel like sh*t if i mess something up that could of been easily avoided just because i cant find the exact answer im looking for on google. Been looking for the blown up diagrams of the L67 just to get an idea of how its going back together. So far im looking up need to paint the heads and keep it moving
Automotive tire Automotive design Rectangle Gas Office equipment
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Engineering
Automotive engine gasket Audio equipment Electronic instrument Gas Machine
Motor vehicle Automotive engine gasket Gas Engineering Machine

·
Administrator
1,402 Posts
Pont arrows on HG's towards "front" of engine (water pump end). Looks like the one on your front bank is backwards (side with A/C). I forget the exact difference that drives this, but I think it's very minor.

Not trying to self-promote, but check out my 2020 build videos (kinda boring, but I tried showing the boring details). Also, Terrell Smith does some decent coverage in his Bolt for Bolt videos, although he also isn't a professional charismatic presenter, either (we can't all be Cleetus).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Land vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle
Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Car

I was told the side of the gasket with the wider metal rings goes facing the block and the side with narrow metal rings goes facing the head. I never got to paint the heads i tried and dropped it about 3 feet visually it looks fine hope its ok. But i can still move the gasket. These are the small things im talking about. Looked for about 2 hours on google to see what direction the gaskets go in. Only indicator i had was those arrows and also does it matter what head goes on what bank.

·
Administrator
1,402 Posts
I think the only difference is the size of water ports that somewhat guide the flow. I've always installed them based on the arrows on a bunch of engines, and yes there's a minor difference in the ring, but both sides are up against flat cast iron.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Almost done with the engine need to get the shift kit into the tranny and its ready do go back in the car so i can start the turbo stuff. Can i put some of the turbo stuff on now or wait till the motor is the car? ZZP also sent me a extra Z3 turbo cross over brand new asking 200 obo for it let me kno if any of you guys are interested
Motor vehicle Engineering Gas Machine Auto part
Automotive design Motor vehicle Engineering Aircraft engine Automotive wheel system
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive design

·
Administrator
1,402 Posts
Wow, miles of space in there. Looking good, just take your time and keep doing things as clean/correct as you can, so you can feel solid about the way it's assembled.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks man and yes sir feel like it m forgetting this along the way but we'll find out. The zzp printed instructions are pretty vague and the pictures are god awful any tips

1 - 20 of 48 Posts