3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have aquired a 3800 Series II Marine Engine for use in a marine application. It was marinized in New Zealand here
http://www.waspaust.co.nz/Engine Packages.html

I am in Georgia, USA and am planning on utilizing this engine with a surface drive application in a 17 foot deep vee boat. I hope for speeds up to 70 mph.

If anyone else in the US or elsewhere in the world is running this engine, let me know.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Video of Engine Running

I have posted below a link to a video of this engine running. It has a 3.4" pulley and supposedly a hotter cam to get the rated 300 hp by the marine engine manufacturer.

I think you all will find it interesting that the engine is run by a LINK ECU http://www.linkecu.com/. It is one of their first generation ECU's and does not even utilize a TPS!! It is strictly speed density and does measure and account for boost and engine temp but not air temp. Does not in any way use the MAF. Nor does it use an IAC, idle speed is adjusted with a screw.

http://video.google.com:80/videoplay?docid=-5506300558037978208

·
Administrator
3,246 Posts
We have a customer in Australia who uses our heads and cam in his 3800 equipped racing boat. He destroyes the v8 boats due to his power to weight ratio. Good choice!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Finishing sprucing this up, I did the following:

1. Unbolted all accessories, rebuilt ZF marine transmission, starter, and water pump, pressure-washed, painted all.

2. Cast aluminum pan replaces dented, rusted original.

3. "Supercharged 3800" cover for car bought off ebay, drilled hole in it for coolant cap and dipstick since they are different than a car.

4. Rerouted trans cooling water from suction side of water pump to discharge side of left manifold (they had engine oil cooler in discharge of right manifold water so I duplicated that effort).

5. Removed original mickey-mouse fuel pump and replaced with used (I rebuilt) suction and pressure tank system from Pleasure Craft Marine Engine.

6. Rewired weird wiring scheme to fit USA standard engine plug, added engine oil temp sensor that screwed into where unused oil level sensor was in oil pan.

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
3800 marine eng

Being a marine service manager and certified tech, you would be money ahead to get a 4.3 way more hp and torque. Basic same weight and size a good 4.3 will put out over 300hp with fuel injection, tons of parts for these,

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
Killer looking engine!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Been there done that, have had a 4.3 before. I like to be different (different is not always "correct" in the eyes of some I realize).

I was also the only one that had a Mazda Rotary marine engine in a replica 1934 Gar Wood speedster mahogany boat also.....

The 3.8 with its lopey cam and even firing sounds soooo much better than a 4.3. And bragging rights for a "blown" engine....whatever floats MY boat!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Thanks Bad Ass! Cant wait to see it in the water!

·
Registered
251 Posts
thats crazy.... me and my old man are trying to put one together for a boat also... i think it would be bad a** to have somthing screaming across a lake like these engines do.

·
Registered
8 Posts
vid?

·
Registered
106 Posts

Sounds Great, What you said about the mazda is interesting, would be fine in a 16ft jet boat hi reving i have an old texas speed hull with no motor but still has the drop pump, lets see what happens

·
Registered
4 Posts
YES, I know it's an ol thread.
But has anyone followed up on this or not?

Just did some trading for an early 60's Hydrodyne and this would be NUTs

THanks e

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would also like to know how this turned out, and how the bell housings were adapted. I have a SII 3800 L67, and was thinking of replacing the carb’d 4.3 in my OMC powered Larson.
If parts are available to do this easily I might do it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts