3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1999 Buick Riviera with a sc 3800. After the recent cold snap, got to 0 F here, my oil preassure light came on and I formed a collant leak. I replaced the oil preassure sensor which cleared the oil preassure indicator. I also replaced the collant elbows as one was leaking rapidly. After completing the repair everything seemed fine, except one minor stall when I first started it. After driving about 200 miles the problem has gotten progressively worse. It now is guaranteed to stall at idle and sometimes when the car throttles down at highway speed.

When I replaced the coolant elbows I removed the alternator and left it hooked up and set it on the spark plug wires. I've looked there and the vac tube in the same area for anything obvious. I didn't see anything. The check engine light wasn't on until just now. I am in the middle of nowhere and can't check the codes, but will at the soonest opportunity.

I'm just trying to finish this drive I'm hoping for ideas I can try in the field.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
When the oil preassure light came on I checked the pil. It wasn't cloudy and there was no oil in the collant. I changed the oil, the oil filter, and the air filter. That was day before yesterday. Yesterday I changed the elbows and the sensor.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, stopped and removed air filter and it idle a while stuttering. I wiped a small amount of debris from the intake screen and put everything back together. It seems slightly better. I'm thinking clean the MAF sensor when I get a chance.

· Administrator
1,530 Posts
It sounds like you introduced a vac leak when disturbing the area, so I'd carefully look over the vac lines & use whatever you have available to keep them sealed until a store is available.

If you didn't touch elsewhere when causing the problem, don't trick yourself into thinking unrelated fiddling may have fixed it. This gets you off-target, and starts a lot of tail-chasing that costs time & money better applied elsewhere.

Hopefully, you get rolling clean and can keep it maintained well as you go. MAF cleaning is a good thing to do every few years, with folks running aftermarket oiled filters needing to do it a bit more, especially a few days/weeks after the oil is refreshed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts