3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As my rebuild progresses I don't mind spending a couple extra dollar's to do it right, but I don't need any gimmick's.
Along with the new complete gasket set that includes the black plastic oil pan windage tray/gasket, I ordered this Oil Pan rubber gasket that was also available. Anyone ever use one? Does it go against the block, or the pan? Above or Below the black plastic original gasket? Will it make a difference, or just forget about it, and put it back the way itwas from the factory?
Font Rectangle Circuit component Electric blue Electronic component
Engineering Gas Auto part Machine Space

·
Administrator
959 Posts
Looks like it's meant for the older engines that have the windage trays incorporated in the pan. Using this in conjunction with the Series 2 gasket would cause 2 potential issues: additional layer of sealing for leak possibilities all around the base of the block, and move the oil pick-up screen slightly higher from the bottom of the pan and slightly increasing risk of being above the oil level.

For best sealing results, I typically apply a thin layer of Ultra Grey RTV around the raised bead on the gasket, each side to be thorough.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts