3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a buick 96 Buick Regal GS series II N/A L36.

What kinda mods could i do to this granny putter(exateration) to make it something to be reckoned with??

·
Registered
127 Posts
Depends on how far you want to go with that L36? Do you want something that will shock a Mustang GT or something that will beat all the ricers and semi modded 4 bangers?

I start basic until you decide.... 180 tstat, $5 fan switch, fwi, and u-bend removal (if you have that on a buick).

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'll agree with that start with the basics,then figure what you want to achieve and a budjet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have beentold that buick regal 96+ has the u-bend. but i crawled up underneath the car and i saw no u bend. And i know what it looks like and where its located.

As far as the tstat is considered, Ive been reading around on it and supposably its just no good for you engine. It causes erratic expansion and contraction.

The CAI is something i was deffenatly considering. But thats only going to give me what 2-3 hp (??)

That doesnt get me much further.

But thanks for your help, if you have anymore suggestions, feel free to speak your mind.

·
Registered
238 Posts
96buickregalgransport said:
I have beentold that buick regal 96+ has the u-bend. but i crawled up underneath the car and i saw no u bend. And i know what it looks like and where its located.

As far as the tstat is considered, Ive been reading around on it and supposably its just no good for you engine. It causes erratic expansion and contraction.

The CAI is something i was deffenatly considering. But thats only going to give me what 2-3 hp (??)

That doesnt get me much further.

But thanks for your help, if you have anymore suggestions, feel free to speak your mind.
the CAI should give you a little more than 2-3, either way its a supporting mod that will increase benefit as you add more things to your car, so if you want to mod your car starting with a CAI with some exhaust work is a good start, you may not see great gains now but if you add cam or rockers, the more important needing a CAI becomes

·
Registered
48 Posts
Go with forced induction. If you want to make your car "something to be reckoned with", you'll have to be blowing one way or another (turbo or S/C). I'm running low 15's at well over 90, and I got walked by a civic on a highway race today (started at over 80 mph) Don't waste money on doing little stuff, save up for a motor swap, or some kind of F/I. I'm just going to save up and do a cam/head package eventually, only because I personally am hell-bent on staying N/A. N/A is the expensive route, however.

·
Registered
30 Posts
8-Ur-Honda said:
the CAI should give you a little more than 2-3, either way its a supporting mod that will increase benefit as you add more things to your car, so if you want to mod your car starting with a CAI with some exhaust work is a good start, you may not see great gains now but if you add cam or rockers, the more important needing a CAI becomes
I have a WizAired... definitely more than 2-3 hp. The butt-o-meter notes a significant gain in mid and upper range acceleration.

Speedo goes up relatively quickly from 40-60 now. I haven't had the car hammer down past 60 yet except for a little burst from 70-90, where acceleration was noticeably better. I'd say it's about 10-15hp... maybe that's optimistic, I dunno.

Mike

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a WizAired... definitely more than 2-3 hp. The butt-o-meter notes a significant gain in mid and upper range acceleration.
Of course you could have done a FWI, and got the same performance for a lot less $$$. But I guess you want to be able to say you "have a Wizair".

·
Registered
30 Posts
99GT2dr said:
Of course you could have done a FWI, and got the same performance for a lot less $$$. But I guess you want to be able to say you "have a Wizair".

No, not that at all.

I *don't* want to have a FWI taking up space otherwise allocated for my headlights... looks like all the FWI jobs I've seen are chop jobs.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
96buickregalgransport said:
I have a buick 96 Buick Regal GS series II N/A L36.

What kinda mods could i do to this granny putter(exateration) to make it something to be reckoned with??

For starters, there a 1001 things you could do to start and everyone will have different opinions on it. Personally, I stuck with the "More Air=More Fuel" rule which applies to all engines both N/A and forced induction. How I started with my car was with an INTAKE and CUSTOM exhaust to get things flowing better at both ends of the engine. I had quite a noticable difference with just those 2 additions on my factory engine, not to mention a far better induction and exhaust sound. That being said, if you plan on modding your car until the cows come home, make sure the mods you add tomorrow will help you into next week/next year. My original plan was to stop at an intake and exhaust......... and look where it got me. I ended up with 3 PCM's in 3 years, so that was just extra money I didn't need to waste, because I didn't project realisticly where I wanted to go with the car......

Phew,,,,, that was far too deep.. LOL. Good luck with your mods, and I hope my advice from experience will help. :cool:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Originally Posted by 99GT2dr

No, not that at all.

I *don't* want to have a FWI taking up space otherwise allocated for my headlights... looks like all the FWI jobs I've seen are chop jobs.
Umm, I don't know how impala's are set up, but in my GP I didn't "chop" up anything to do my FWI. And it DEF. doesn't take any space allocated to my headlight. A CAI would, because the box goes RIGHT behind the headlight, but my 3" PVC pipe goes nowhere close to my headlight. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
30 Posts
99GT2dr said:
Umm, I don't know how impala's are set up, but in my GP I didn't "chop" up anything to do my FWI. And it DEF. doesn't take any space allocated to my headlight. A CAI would, because the box goes RIGHT behind the headlight, but my 3" PVC pipe goes nowhere close to my headlight. :rolleyes:
I'll have to see some installations, then. The pics I saw made it look like the intake piping was located where the driver's side headlight would normally have been... wish there were more W-body guys here in this area to see some modded cars up close.

·
Registered
238 Posts
mlewis73 said:
I'll have to see some installations, then. The pics I saw made it look like the intake piping was located where the driver's side headlight would normally have been... wish there were more W-body guys here in this area to see some modded cars up close.
so there is no local clubgp chapter in your area :(

·
Registered
48 Posts
He's in the same boat as me, there's no clubgp chapter in my area, either. Only austin and san antonio, and those are a good distance away.

·
Registered
139 Posts
mlewis73 said:

Speedo goes up relatively quickly from 40-60 now. I haven't had the car hammer down past 60 yet except for a little burst from 70-90, where acceleration was noticeably better. I'd say it's about 10-15hp... maybe that's optimistic, I dunno.

Mike
you do not make 10-15whp because of your fancy ass intake.

Period.

butt dynos are worthless also.

·
Registered
30 Posts
NismoMaxima said:
you do not make 10-15whp because of your fancy ass intake.

Period.

butt dynos are worthless also.
Well, how much do you make with your intake? It must be there for some reason...

Mine's there as a supportive mod for future modifications. Gotta start somewhere... if ya can't afford the big stuff (supercharger) then start with the stuff you can afford, right?

'Nuff said.

·
Registered
139 Posts
mlewis73 said:
Well, how much do you make with your intake? It must be there for some reason...

Mine's there as a supportive mod for future modifications. Gotta start somewhere... if ya can't afford the big stuff (supercharger) then start with the stuff you can afford, right?

'Nuff said.
nothing wrong with aftermarket intakes.
it's just everyone thinks they are ****ing amazing.
my injen cai says it makes me 11whp.
http://injen.com/webpages/testing/original_files/RD1925.jpg
come on, 11 whp from just an air intake. that means it would be adding about 22+ at the crank. from an intake. my ass.

honestly my intake probably added about 5-7whp.
why do i have it? ****ing got me.

no air intake will ever make my car even .1 any faster at the track. from about 14's-15's you need around 10whp to drop .1 (rough estimate but you get the idea)

bleh whatever. i didn't mean to come off as an ass. it's just every person i see goes my intake gave me XXwhp. the company said it adds that much so it's true. If i added up the claimed HP gains of every mod i have done. i should be around 230-240whp.

intakes like exhausts are much more noise then performance.

·
Registered
30 Posts
NismoMaxima said:
nothing wrong with aftermarket intakes.
it's just everyone thinks they are ****ing amazing.
my injen cai says it makes me 11whp.
http://injen.com/webpages/testing/original_files/RD1925.jpg
come on, 11 whp from just an air intake. that means it would be adding about 22+ at the crank. from an intake. my ass.

honestly my intake probably added about 5-7whp.
why do i have it? ****ing got me.

no air intake will ever make my car even .1 any faster at the track. from about 14's-15's you need around 10whp to drop .1 (rough estimate but you get the idea)

bleh whatever. i didn't mean to come off as an ass. it's just every person i see goes my intake gave me XXwhp. the company said it adds that much so it's true. If i added up the claimed HP gains of every mod i have done. i should be around 230-240whp.

intakes like exhausts are much more noise then performance.

True that. I think the WizAired shifted the torque/hp curves though... Low end is about the same... but there is a difference in mid range acceleration and upper range acceleration (which as we all know is where the 3800 needs the most help).

·
Registered
3 Posts
You can try NOS

Hey,
I had a tank like that. I had a 1990 olds delta 88 2door. I put a E92 supercharer on it with a 50 shot of Nitrous and it would never die. I bet it would have run the Quarter mile under 13, just as fast or faster than my Camaro now. I gave a Corvette c5 a good run for its money :D Try some Nitrous, dont go crazy with it right off hand 50 then 75 tops 100. Dont do to much or your motor will be tost. I ran the olds with wide open pipe 3in back, my dads home made headers (I love having a car mechenic for a dad), and import muffler lol. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Intake will give you about 5-7hp and make your car a little louder. You'll notice throttle response inprovement as well as top end. Then do your exhaust which should give you 5-10 hp depending on which system you get. That will improve overall acceleration and if you get 3" like I did, your top end will have a big improvement. May not seem like much but once you go for something big like heads/cam, from what i hear they make all the difference.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts