3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started a project to replace the head gaskets on my 3800 after doing a compression test. I have everything torn down and am ready to start re-assembly. I got a Felpro Gasket set HS 9917 PT-2, and was wondering if I should use a spray on gasket sealant like Permtex or if the head gasket should be installed with no spray on material

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Copper Spray is the only thing you should use and it's really only needed on the MLS gaskets. I put it on my Felpro's just for the hell of it, quick spray on each side and that was it. You can put Felpro's on without it and you won't have any issues, just make sure the orientation of the gaskets are correct.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I always use the copper spray too. Not 100% necessary, but still a good idea. It is also very important to use the correct torque specs!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm currently doing a engine rebuild on a 96 bonneville ssei. The car had been parked for a while it had a bad intake gasket the owner said he had to add water twice then he couldnt get it to turn over one day and it sat in his body shop since around 07. I bought it for 500 and it had a bad ground that was making the door locks and a few other power things not work and then changed the fuel pump. I changed the oil and it had a little bit of water in it. I then started it for maybe 20sec and checked the oil and it had 10x more water in it this time. So i think when he had it the gasket wasnt quite as mad and after the 6-7 years of sitting it got alot worse. He said it never overheated but the coolant light went off and he had to add water twice. He thought there was a leak somewhere.

So I ordered a Engine Gasket Kit, Fel-Pro Head Gaskets, Comp Re-usable Rocker Arm Bolts and ARP Head Studs. I got the Head Gaskets and noticed the say there for the Vin K version witch is the none supercharged. I sent ZZP and email and Steve replyed and told me the only different is the part number and price and that he used these vin k gaskets on there world record for HP on a M90 motor. They dont seem to be any different besides the superchanged gaskets have an arrow on them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Does anyone know why the gaskets only have a small whole where the water jackets are at? the gaskets i removed were falling apart in the area. You'd think with bigger wholes the water would flow better. Seems odd it was made like that. The news gaskets are the same. 3800 series 2 superchaged L67

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
If coolant flows through the heads too fast, the coolant will not absorb the heat. That is why they restrict the opening.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts