3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey 3800pro fans my name is Chris and I'm new to the 3800 series engines, I have a 4dr 99 Grand Prix GTP and I wanted to upgrade a little but keep it a family car that has balls, I seen a zzp performance kit stage 1 one that I want to get but I need help on making my whine louder and my car just a little faster, I'm not the race type but like to know I have it if needed. does anyone recommend getting it cammed?

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
More whine, more power

A slightly smaller supercharger pulley and a free flowing air cleaner design will meet both of your goals.

You can change the cam, but there is plenty of power to be had through minor upgrades and PCM tuning.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Well, I guess you need to decide how much of a power increase you are looking for. I have an 03 with MAJOR MODS and a very good computer tune. The car is very fast AND 100% streetable. Any one could get right in and drive away like normal......once they get used to the throttle/power response it's like any other normal driving car. The only question would be just how much of an improvement you want. You can find just about anything you need for mods at INTENSE, ZZP, 3800PRO, etc,etc,etc. Also, check with DYNO TUNE MOTOR SPORTS for computer reprogramming to make all the goodies come together for a nice driving ride. LAST THING, decide just how much of a power increase you are wanting and the dollars needed to get you there. Happy modding!
Jake

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Dyno Brian has stated that the stock fuel pump is very marginal for mods.
THe first mod should be a performance fuel pump. You cannot afford to hav e the engine run LEAN.

Best of modding to you.

·
Registered
994 Posts
There is a lot of truth about the fuel pump issue. CASE IN POINT...... A few years ago on my 03 GTP I melted down my 3800sc at a local track. Fried some pistons big time which resulted pretty much in a complete rebuild at that point. And as long as I was doing this I elected to leave no stone unturned. So, besides reboring the cyls and buying a 2nd set of DIAMOND pistons, installed a good intercooler and related parts as well as SLP headers, XP comp cam, fresh air intake, a bunch of add-on electronics etc. When I got it all back together and fired up, decided to recheck my FUEL DELIVERY. At first it all looked great. But when I wanted to know how much volume of fuel the pump was delivering I was shocked. After 10 secs or so the fuel stream was showing a LOT of bubbles(aireated!). So I quickly replaced to pump using a DELPHI unit. Just to make tripple sure about delivery volume I drilled several 1/2' holes in the fuel pump canister to allow LOTS of fuel to enter the canister. The stock "sock" for fuel feed to the bottom of the pump motor was not nearly enough for full throttle operation. Since that time there have not been any issues and a pump volume test now is perfect. And just to be sure I have monitored "live data" info with one of my Snap On scanners. My fuel trims stay constant, the O2 stays a tick on the rich side where it's very safe for my liking. I don't squeeze it to limits on fuel trim so my O2 under hard throttle is in the high .600s to low .700s. It's a tick rich for max performance but very safe as far as running too lean and maybe causing another melt down.
One other thing I do to keep my engine from possible damage is I run it COOL! I know there are many who will and do PO PO this concept. But for those naysayer, I say it's been proven on engine dynos for a few of my DRAG RACE engines. These made their best hp/torque at a starting temp on any given dyno pull. In all cases a cooler engine did make more HP and TORQUE. To keep my 3800 at a cooler temp for these good results, I don't run a thermostat only the outer portion of the thermostat body to hold the O ring in place. I do allow heat to build in the engine before pushing it hard.
Like I said, some will po po this concept but I've been doing this for a very long time. I will not argue that a warm engine with good fuel trims may make good HP but I will argue that a cooler running engine will last longer with fewer failures.

Guess I said way too much and maybe made a few shake their heads but results have proven this for me again and again. By the way, my son who has a hot rod 383 camaro does this also. He has confirmed that following this for his drag racer is the HOT TICKET also. He also has found the 140 degree starting point seems to give the best results. Also, when I'm getting that itch for some FULL THROTTLE, my first move is to turn on my HIGH SPEED COOLING FAN set up from CASPERS. LOVE THEIR STUFF. Their full throttle voltage booster is also a great mod for those of us that love "pedal to the metal" feeling.

Thanks for listening/reading.......... Jake (mr goodwrench)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts