3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all im currently starting my swap into my trooper I'm using the factory v6 trans thats in the trooper it uses the gm metric pattern so I have a long block for a fwd that I'm using I recently acquired a camaro intake and was wondering if I could use the fwd accessorie brackets with that intake if not do I need the camaro brackets or are there some nice aftermarket brackets I should look into

·
Super Moderator
673 Posts
The alternator and tensioner bracket will need to be from a RWD 3800 setup to fit best with the F-body intake (ran into this when swapping to a Holden RWD intake, too). I'd try getting as much from the Camaro/Firebird accessory system as possible, since there's almost always one in the junkyard, or you can get used ones from eBay or car-part.com (junkyards that keep inventory).

Guessing you're sticking with the manual transmission from the Isuzu. Not sure what model it is, but it should be OK if you're not doing anything beyond clean-up on the engine for upgrades. The Camaro V6 computer and harness for a manual car should be fine to control this, with minimal need for any sort of tuning, if you just get a mini-AFC for the MAF from ZZP. We used to do alot before the full-blown tuning was available, although that's a great option as well, to make sure everything is set right (fueling, timing, speedo, etc.), and can be monitored.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The alternator and tensioner bracket will need to be from a RWD 3800 setup to fit best with the F-body intake (ran into this when swapping to a Holden RWD intake, too). I'd try getting as much from the Camaro/Firebird accessory system as possible, since there's almost always one in the junkyard, or you can get used ones from eBay or car-part.com (junkyards that keep inventory).

Guessing you're sticking with the manual transmission from the Isuzu. Not sure what model it is, but it should be OK if you're not doing anything beyond clean-up on the engine for upgrades. The Camaro V6 computer and harness for a manual car should be fine to control this, with minimal need for any sort of tuning, if you just get a mini-AFC for the MAF from ZZP. We used to do alot before the full-blown tuning was available, although that's a great option as well, to make sure everything is set right (fueling, timing, speedo, etc.), and can be monitored.
Thank you for the info and I have hp tuners which should work for the tuning aspect I also thought about buying a standalone harness pre made.but yes I am using the factory isuzu trans its a mua5 speed some say its rated for 300 but I'm going to be as easy as possible on it

·
Super Moderator
673 Posts
No need to buy something stand-alone for most cases. That stuff if pretty overpriced, especially if you're comfortable re-purposing a factory harness. These PCM's are very basic to adjust for various swaps, especially if you use a tuner to get them running fairly clean.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No need to buy something stand-alone for most cases. That stuff if pretty overpriced, especially if you're comfortable re-purposing a factory harness. These PCM's are very basic to adjust for various swaps, especially if you use a tuner to get them running fairly clean.
Is there any where where I can find good instructions or good wiring diagrams for making a stock harness standalone

·
Super Moderator
673 Posts
I'd try searching this and similar forums for things written over the years. There may even be some info on a couple Fiero swap sites.

The basic necessity is all sensors on the engine required for timing/fuel/airflow, connecting to the PCM and Fuse Box, and routing to the couple places the vehicle needs (speed sensor in trans tail, fuel pump, ignition switch, neutral/clutch, and gauge outputs for dash). Most of the vehicle wiring can be stopped at the firewall and adapted to your vehicle's native lines.

Last couple times I did this swap for 3800 S2's were converting old OBD 1 setups in an '86 Fiero and '95 Riviera back in '08-'09, but I made sure to have the GM manuals for the systems and connectors (online, print-out, book, eBay DVD, etc.).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Really appreciate the info cant wait to get this thing going little different of a swap than im used to (ls swaps)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts