3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed the oil pressure gauge on this '92 Pontiac Trans Sport GT stays in the red zone at idle and climbs a little out of it at 2000 rpm and higher (never over the first unit).

There's no other warning light or error in the dashboard - just the scary oil pressure gauge.

We brought this car home for repairs after a 600 km trip (370 miles) without any issues on mountain roads or hot weather. Engine temperature was well below the first quarter mark, acceleration was great and there was no strange sounds whatsoever...

When first started cold engine has no lifter or tapping noise.

Do you have an idea what would be the most obvious signs of oil starvation/low pressure on this engine?

Is there any way to confirm it beside the dash gauge?

From your experience with this 3.8 engine what would be the most probable cause for this:
1. defective oil pressure sensor
2. failed oil pump
3. worn crankshaft bearings
4. worn camshaft bearings or other cause

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
You can T in a mech gauge at the oil filter adapter (probably where your factory gauge's sender is located) to verify. Changing your oil can help, make sure you're running a thick enough oil.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oil

We already changed the oil and filter before this trip.

What is the maximum oil viscosity oil allowed in this engine?

We now have a 10W40 Semi-Synthetic in. Could a W50 or W60 make a difference in oil pressure without doing any damage to this type of engine?

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
It's probably supposed to be a 10w30 or a 10w40. I don't know if you'll really find any "max" figures, my grandpa runs 15w40 in everything because why not lol. You should be seeing about 10psi for every 1k rpm

1 - 4 of 4 Posts